Characteristics of a rough water boat? >

Characteristics of a rough water boat?

Notices

Characteristics of a rough water boat?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I have yet to be in a stepped boat that rides same or better in rough then a straight bottom....they ride lighter..all around....
you should ask someone with a 39 Top Gun or a Big Fountain to take you out for a ride..
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfisher
I dont think Sunsation glasses their deck to the hull, they use a product that's slipping my mind right now...(?)...
Could be why the deck disconnects from the hull during a few of the accidents I have seen them in, although they claimed the product they were using was just as strong of a bond. Will have to look back and see if I can find what they were using
Plexus and mechanical fastners, just like other builders such as Formula use. If properly applied the fiberglass surrounding the bond will give way before the bonded area.

http://www.itwplexus.com/industries/marine.cfm

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 10-31-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
you should ask someone with a 39 Top Gun or a Big Fountain to take you out for a ride..
Been in 38 and 46 stepped cigs ....and a 38 and a 42 fountains.... all stepped.....also been in non stepped cigs and Apaches.....saber...all over 38 foot....stepped didn't ride as ssolid
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

the fiberglass surrounding the Plexus might give way -- but when a hull and deck are bonded together with glass there is a much larger area than with just the Plexus -- so it is usually a stronger joint and less prone to seperation.

In the stepped boats ride lighter debate -- are you guys comparing say a straight bottom top gun to a twin step? I would think that there's 1500 - 2000 lbs differnce between those two boats(depending on equipment) -- would that be what's accounting for the lighter feel ride ?

I will say that i do like a straight bottom better if not talking about top speeds...and even then steps can get hairy.

Balance is a huge thing when you're running in waves, if the boat is flying level i'm happy, and depending on conditions that usually requires some hp. Nothing worse that the waves pushing you around...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

This is also Lake Erie and it may differ depending on what people think rough water is.... in our lake its all over and very short big or small waves.....so taking em on the side happens a lot here... you can. Really get tossed around in some boats...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a straight bottom 38 tg and a twin step. they are both very close in weight and there is NO comparison in the ride. i'm not saying that a ts is a bad ride at all but when compared to a straight bottom it looses. i've been in both many of times. my guess would be that the steps "aireate" the bottom and you tend to feel evey little bump. it's just not as smooth as a straight bottom, it doesn't ride on top as nicely as a ts it just simply cuts through the water like a hot knife in butter.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the point of the steps to get more of the boat out of the water, so it's "slicing" less and there's less already in the water hence more to hit the water?

There's also additional horizontal surface in the steps that will slap the water vs a straight bottom.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
take a straight bottom 38 tg and a twin step. they are both very close in weight and there is NO comparison in the ride. i'm not saying that a ts is a bad ride at all but when compared to a straight bottom it looses. i've been in both many of times. my guess would be that the steps "aireate" the bottom and you tend to feel evey little bump. it's just not as smooth as a straight bottom, it doesn't ride on top as nicely as a ts it just simply cuts through the water like a hot knife in butter.
Cig92, I see you have a 37 OL now, any comparison between the two (OL and Cigarette)would be interesting.....
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Never mind....just saw this....thanks.

cig92
37' Outerlimits my step bottom outerlimits weighs 9200 lbs, my straight bottom 92 cig weighs between 9000-9500 lbs and my friends t/s 2002 cig weighs 9500ish. the 92 straight bottom cig better than the others hands down and i've been in a lot of boats
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On Time
But will a Baja take a real beating in the rough like a Cig, ie, or will it result in broken parts and cracks? I'm thinking not but would like to hear from the more educated and experienced. As mentioned, the build quality plays a big part in a true rough water boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.