Characteristics of a rough water boat? >

Characteristics of a rough water boat?

Notices

Characteristics of a rough water boat?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
I have yet to be in a stepped boat that rides same or better in rough then a straight bottom....they ride lighter..all around....
Agreed!!! Been in many and I will take the straight hull any day...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
In my opinion, first get your price point. Are you actually in the market for a boat?...Or just wondering about this stuff.... If everyone on here is telling you to buy wine, when all you can afford is beer, its not doing you any good. First, how much are you looking to spend? Then, we (OSO) can guide you to the best boat for the money your looking to spend.
No I'm not purchasing a new boat just trying to learn more about the role that the materials have.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Agreed!!! Been in many and I will take the straight hull any day...
never been in a powerplay 33 but i hear they are great riding boats. do they compare to like a cafe or mistress??
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
never been in a powerplay 33 but i hear they are great riding boats. do they compare to like a cafe or mistress??
Not sure if it is a real comparison. Both of those are bigger/heavier. Not much but enough. The Cafe feels just like the PP, very solid. But it seems to porpoise where the PP doesn't. The PP is a lil bow light compared to the Cafe, most likely due to a light foam lay up and or balance.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

I am torn between the 2. My buddy has a t/s 35 with 525's and I think it is gorgeous! So far we run neck and neck in any water. The difference is his is twice as much and has a #1 on the side.

On another note. As stated in this thread and by many people I know that are alot more knowledgeable than I am. When it is time to buy a Gun I will look for a straight bottom. And I have been told by a few the 33 PP rides like a TG just a lil smaller.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 10-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dbkski
Superboat? I remember a thread with pictures of the boat
separating after a trip/stuff - two seasons ago?
When boats stuff, they often break.

I had a '98 24 and have a '06 30 now and they are glassed together. Not sure about some of the older ones.

Back to the point....Superboats sure do win alot of races, particularly the rough water races. One characteristic not metioned is beam. Skinny boats are good in rough water.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

The mIstress is a TANK, normally around 10,500 ish depending on power and fuel weight...thats HEAVY for a 35 footer, but it pays off in big water, just takes a ton to move em... thats the downfall..

whats a 33 PP weigh??
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
One characteristic not metioned is beam. Skinny boats are good in rough water.
very true...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lil surprised....

No specific mention of Formula.

My 357 sr1 is a dog......top speed of 72.....

Straight bottom.....24* transom....36"oc main strakes

5' 9" in the forward cabin.....

10.5 k empty with ac, fridge, micro, head, two tvs.....

8'6" beam and ABSOLUTELY KRUSHES 8 footers in a rolling sea at full throttle netting about 64 mph with very little air time with drives at +1 and tabs at 0.

Probably has a lot to do with balance....and the trans putting the power fore in the bilge.....
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by commandersander
Lil surprised....

No specific mention of Formula.

My 357 sr1 is a dog......top speed of 72.....

Straight bottom.....24* transom....36"oc main strakes

5' 9" in the forward cabin.....

10.5 k empty with ac, fridge, micro, head, two tvs.....

8'6" beam and ABSOLUTELY KRUSHES 8 footers in a rolling sea at full throttle netting about 64 mph with very little air time with drives at +1 and tabs at 0.

Probably has a lot to do with balance....and the trans putting the power fore in the bilge.....
My buddy and I both have Mistress's another friend has a 86 357, we went out a couple weeks ago in some 5 footers on Erie, it crushed em, but we got tossed around and my other buddy agreed that it just didnt take the shock that the Mistress does, same goes for my buddys 36 widebody Cig, the widebody is insane in big water, love it...the extra bulkheads make a HUGE difference.... I could feel the flex in the 357 and its been completely redone... not to say it didnt do a great job, but there was a difference, the beam is wider on the 357, maybe thats it??? not sure...I can tell you that walking on each deck is a big differance, the Formula deck will move when I walk on it, the Cig don't... I can jump on mine and it barely moves...don;t get me wrong... I love Formulas also, was lookking at em when I fell into mine...the 311 Formula is a fun azz boat!!

Last edited by Full Force; 10-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.