Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Enging compartment filled with seawater........ >

Enging compartment filled with seawater........

Notices

Enging compartment filled with seawater........

Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enging compartment filled with seawater........

I hate to start a new thread but I might get more advice..... My oat was left on the trailer with the plug removed through the huricane. The boat was moved aout 8 ft but seemed okay. I am now hearing people saying the boats filled with water. Im guessing my boat was floating for 4-8 hours with no plug in it. If the engines got fully sumerged and water got into the front of the hull what is the situation on repairs. Is this a major repair that could total the boat? I cant imagine how the insurance companies are going to send adjusters to every claim, it will take months! Any advice? bring to a marina? I called this morning but the police are still not letting residents into the area, maybe tomorrrow I will tow it home. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I know u had the plug out, did u have a full mooring cover over the boat, and is it still on, or just the non water proof cockpit cover, if it went bow up when it floated maybe you'll get lucky. Hard to guess the damage till you get it out. Sorry man I have the same boat

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 10-31-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was partially submerged in saltwater, I could certainly see the possibility of it being totaled, depending on the year and options / book value. The biggest issue would be corrosion of mechanical and electrical components, followed by the possibility of rot in various parts of the hull if there were areas that were not sealed real well.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your bildge pump have a float? Was it on?

It's a little late, but plug and anchoring the boat to a brick mailbox or house column would of worked great.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If everything got wet I would think they would total out the boat. If not maybe they will give you a new engine and electronics
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, first pull dipstick and see what you have for oil level in crankcase. then start looking for a high water mark inside boat. might need to go tasting the rugs-hull sides for salt. see if there is water in batt boxes or anywhere else it would fill and stay. it should be fairly easy to find how high the water went. but if motor is full of salt water, you know it went high enough to do damage, and you have a tough decision. drain it and try to save motor, or leave it for the ins adjuster, knowing the motor is dead-dead-dead by the time he checks it...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
... but plug ...
He said "butt plug" hehe hehe hehe

Probably the first time used on OSO.

To the OP:

You need to see the boat and look for the water line. It should be obvious. If it didn't move very far, it sounds like it floated first, and slowly sank aft first; probably settled back down when water receeded; and then drained out.

Depending on how far up the water line is in the boat, it's more than likely a total loss; especially with sea/salt water. Especially since its sitting; corroding and rusting; internally as well as wiring/electronics.

That said, you need to get on the horn with your agent/adjuster. They may need you to make an attempt to winterize it (if you have not already). Otherwise, if you allow it to freeze, they will pass you off as negligent.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
He said "butt plug" hehe hehe hehe

Probably the first time used on OSO.

I don't know Brian - Check the UC section
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if crankcase is full of salt water, winterizing is obviously a joke, but freeze damage to boats before january on jersey shore is very rare. hey, winterize cooling system and leave crankcase full of goo...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Dont go into full panic mode yet. If the water was only 3-4 feet you may have only had water in the bilge. Any higher and you might get off easy and only need starters. It is hard for me to believe the entire bilge was full up to the intakes... Change the oil either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.