Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why did they not get their boats out? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/287269-why-did-they-not-get-their-boats-out.html)

ICDEDPPL 11-02-2012 09:16 AM

It would make too much sense to move the boat before a HUUUGE storm ...Don`t worry those insurance claim will just be spread out to the rest of us.. nothing to see here :mad:

Comanche3Six 11-02-2012 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by machloosy (Post 3807844)
That sucks so much man. Thoughts and prayers to you all

Thanks for prayers, people always appreciate them. Now it's time to chainsaw this Locust tree off my Cigarette & see what is what.

scarab63 11-02-2012 10:28 AM

Just because everyone on here is a boat weirdo doesn't mean everyone else is.....

Sometimes there's just too much $hit to do....
Prepare house, business, family, figuring out work & school schedules.
The boat may be an afterthought to many....or like someone else already mentioned.
Call the marina up, request a haul out......but the marinas are swamped & can't get it out!

Realistically what is plan B when they inform you it will not get hauled out?
There isn't one.....I work heavy construction & could probably muster the resources to make something happen within reason.....even that would be a stretch.
What does the average white collar person do other than add some lines & call up to make sure their ins policy is current.

Nate5.0 11-02-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3807887)
Thanks for prayers, people always appreciate them. Now it's time to chainsaw this Locust tree off my Cigarette & see what is what.

Man I feel for ya.

I hope it's all repairable and you can keep on with'em. Grab a beer and try and to remember at least you and your fam are ok.

Best of luck bud.

Back4More 11-02-2012 10:33 AM

Sorry to see that.
It does not look as if that many boats were still in the water thanks to winter haul out.

Captain YARRR 11-02-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GoFastScott (Post 3807767)
Well, I know down here in S Florida many people don't take the warnings seriously.

I can see that for sure. But this storm, it was obvious from SPACE that this storm was something incredible. Blowing it off is just foolish.

Big Time 11-02-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3807830)
Mine were out.

Sucks.

I left my boat at the marina (on the trailer). The only other place I could have taken it was my parents, which did cross my mind. If I had, it would be under a 45 ft pine tree right now...crushed. But it did just fine at the marina.

I don't think anyone had an idea how high the storm surge was going to be. I took a calculated gamble keeping it by the water, and it paid off. Not everyone was as lucky as me. Good luck to everyone w/damage to property. My family had some, to the house and business, but we consider ourselves lucky.

78CIG24 11-02-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3807830)
Mine were out.

Oh man, not the FireFox??? So sorry to see this!! Hope you guys are OK.

Dave

the deep 11-02-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 3807866)
It would make too much sense to move the boat before a HUUUGE storm ...Don`t worry those insurance claim will just be spread out to the rest of us.. nothing to see here :mad:

Is that your nature to only think of yourself in a time like this . For Gods sake man at least save your comments till after the shock has passed .

HTRDLNCN 11-02-2012 11:21 AM

I would think most people would be thinking about protecting family,friends and neighbors before thinking about saving the boat.. Then after all is done then yes see if something can be done.. Unless you have actually lived thru a major hurricane you have no idea the chaos that it brings in the days before..