Why go easy on it when coming on plane? >

Why go easy on it when coming on plane?

Notices

Why go easy on it when coming on plane?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
have you tried putting the tabs all the way down ? Also it's different when the props are slipping, the 382 needed a quick blast of throttle to get going but could roll back as the props started to bite and not load the drives so hard
yea tried with tabs all the way down...I wouldn't say we put the throttles on the wall but slowly build to 3/4 throttle...as it bites slowly back off.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK - Lots of good replies, and lots of different situations and setups. In my case, I get almost zero prop slip coming on plane (DuoProps) and, given that the engines simply don't make a lot of torque at those low rpms (2500-3000), I guess that can get away with WOT.

I would think that by far the worst thing that would happen would be leaving the water, allowing the engine to rev up to the limiter, and then landing with the throttle still wide open. At that point, you ARE dealing with the engine being at peak power, and the prop being hooked up.

I guess my question is more like: Why would the drive care how fast it is going? All it should care about is the force (torque) being applied to it, and therefore the force that it is applying to the water.

The best point raised so far is: Why do we have to put up with drivetrains that WON'T handle WOT? We'd freak if this was the case in our cars.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I had a bravo 3 on my stingray with a 310 hp 454, i managed to twist the propshaft pretty bad on that be careful with any power you have
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 4,272 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bwd
if this was fb, i would "like" this statement.
"like"
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I have mentioned this in other threads also. I also don't understand the "myth" on how getting on plane slow and easy is less harsh on the drives?

How does X amount of torque applied through the drives for XXXXX amount of time worse then the same amount of torque applied through the drives for less then half the amount of time??

There are a TON of boaters on this site that BABY their drives getting on plane and STILL blow drives. Have any of us tried the opposite and see if they break?

And when our drives break it NEVER happens while getting on plane anyways

Not saying that slamming it in gear and mashing the throttles instantly is good.

Just move them forward smoothly, but not to slow not to fast, then back off when the RPMs start increasing.

You can move them forward smoothy and slow and just sit there halfway on plane for 10 min also, might as well just put the forward a little more and a little faster and just get up and be done with it.

Biggest problem is ALL of our info are just guesses. We really have no clue and no way to actually test which way is the best.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

how many pounds is applied to the scale when you jump on it? now step on it slow and easy. same 200lb guy can have quite a difference in load applied. And the load is quite different, applying full throttle while under full load is easily the most torture a drive could be put through. Less throttle = less torque. Less torque and less load "should" extend the drive's life

Last edited by Unlimited jd; 12-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

but how much torque does the engine make at what RPM? The engine can be at full throttle but not be appling maximum torque

and again, how does X amount of Torque applied for 30 seconds better then X amount of Torque applied for only 15 seconds?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

As far as torque over time that's a good question, bet some interesting theories come out of that one!
At full throttle the engine will be at its torque potential for a given rpm, back the sticks off a bit and the same rpm ( up to a point) can be achieved without making as much torque. Or at least this dumbass thinks that way lol
Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

My opinion is drive it anyway you want if you can afford to fix it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

no one has mentioned inertia. The end power would be the same getting on plane and running wide open so that has nothing to do with it. But taking the inertia of the engine spinning with full power and slowing it down in a short amount of time puts alot more load on the drive then running wide open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.