Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter >

Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter

Notices

Transformer Prime Super IPS+ Tablet as Chartplotter

Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates? Im thinking about gettign a nexus 7 and tethering it to my iphone for data.

Last edited by drpete3; 06-02-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably a dumb question- Do any of the tablets have gps capability that work without an air card or being linked to a hot spot?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
Probably a dumb question- Do any of the tablets have gps capability that work without an air card or being linked to a hot spot?

I was going to use a USB GPS dongle so I could use real gps instead of wireless GPS when there is no cell service.

Amazon.com: BU-353-S4 Weather-proof USB GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Any iPad with 3g or 4g capability (note you do not have to subscribe to wireless service, but you need the 3g or 4g because they are the only models with a built in GPS) will work as well as the asus TF200 or TF700. You just download the Navionics app and then you download the maps you want. You do not have to have live internet connection for these tablets to work on the boat since you actually download the maps you need to the tablets. Also no need for an external GPS if you buy one of these tablets. Also no need to tether unless you plan to use google maps instead of bucking up and buying the charts from the Navionics app.

I highly suggest an ASUS tablet though because it is the most sunlight readable of the bunch.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure about the specs but Groupon just started a deal on refurb Asus T300 Transformer tablets $229 including shipping...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

I dont think the TF300 has the super IPS screen, which makes the screen pretty sunlight readable.

If you look on cowboom.com, occasionally they have the TF201 for less that $200 slightly used.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Registered

Quick update: I used the tranformer prime for a bit and the GPS signal is not so good. I think they improved that with the Infinity version, but i cant say for sure. Regardless, i went ahead and started using my iPad 3 and it is works very well if you have a set of polarized glasses it is very full sunlight readable. I just used it on an 80 mile trip up LOZ where i needed the depth readings on the Navionics chart and it was a very sunny day all day. The charts were very readable and the GPS lock very reliable with my polarized glasses on. one caveat, you cannot read an iPad with polarized glasses on in portrait mode, you must use it in landscape.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by poulsen11@yahoo.
Quick update: I used the tranformer prime for a bit and the GPS signal is not so good. I think they improved that with the Infinity version, but i cant say for sure. Regardless, i went ahead and started using my iPad 3 and it is works very well if you have a set of polarized glasses it is very full sunlight readable. I just used it on an 80 mile trip up LOZ where i needed the depth readings on the Navionics chart and it was a very sunny day all day. The charts were very readable and the GPS lock very reliable with my polarized glasses on. one caveat, you cannot read an iPad with polarized glasses on in portrait mode, you must use it in landscape.
Does anyone know if they fixed the GPS issue with the Infinity? I am ready to buy and would like to know this before ordering. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have the google nexus tablet and so far this summer it has worked fine.