Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kook flipped boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28866-kook-flipped-boat.html)

Ike 07-16-2002 02:51 PM

Kook flipped boat?

I just heard that Kook wrecked his sunsation this past weekend on the upper chesapeake. He was racing up and down the river with some people on board and lost control and flipped the boat. I heard one person ended up in the cabin and was trapped. I don't think anyone died but are in bad shape. I thought that boat looked a little small for that kind of power and speed and inexperience. Hopefully everyone will be allright:(

rjcardinal 07-16-2002 02:55 PM

Man I hope thats not the case. I hope everybody will recover fully if it is the case. He posted a topic earlier and said that during testing the boat would chine walk badly and that Bruce refused to deliver the boat untill that was worked out. I think they changed drive ratios and props to calm it down.

Ron

CigDaze 07-16-2002 02:56 PM

Oh my!:eek:

Dude, I hope everybody is okay! Is this the new boat he just got back from the long delay(Bruce)? Best wishes, kook!

I wish a quick recovery for all!

Sydwayz 07-16-2002 03:01 PM

Please say it isn't so!!! I hope that everyone is OK!
:( :( :(

seanclong 07-16-2002 03:02 PM

I really hope this is not true or not as bad as it sounds. :( Ike I'm not questioning your veracity, just hoping for the best.

Tantrum 07-16-2002 03:03 PM

I hope everyone is ok no matter what the circumstances.

HiPerf2000 07-16-2002 03:06 PM

Damn. that's terrible .....Lets hope everyone is OK. :(

Didn't he just get that boat back last week. Was it his first time out this year after the new power?

Sydwayz 07-16-2002 03:07 PM

Guys, please remove your comments about too much power and inexperience until all the details are known. This could be unrelated, and it is not kosher. He damn well did not do it on purpose. Please, before this turns ugly for kook, Bruce, or Dave.

NASTY HABIT 07-16-2002 03:09 PM

hope it's not true !!

SR-24 07-16-2002 03:14 PM

I hope it's not true, but if it is I hope everyone is OK. I can't remember, what size engine did he put in it and what was the horsepower? Wasn't it a 25'?

Tantrum 07-16-2002 03:17 PM

I have to agree with Sydwayz,
The media and anyone else not in touch with our pastime will have plenty of remarks and speculation.
Weather it was or wasnt kook, weather he was driving a boat a motorcycle or a JATO rocket, if there was an accident I truely hope everyone is OK.

Cord 07-16-2002 03:24 PM

Sr-I'm pretty sure the engine was a 572 which according to my air dyno should make around 650-670hp.

Chris288 07-16-2002 03:27 PM

This would truely be a terrible accident...

Best wishes and hope all involved are o.k.

So many accidents this year,,, saw one first hand, lets all be SAFE out there..

GregP 07-16-2002 03:30 PM

Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone comes out OK.

-Greg

mxz800 07-16-2002 03:32 PM

I hope everyone is ok. :(

dean campbell 07-16-2002 03:37 PM

GOD, $HIT, i hope it’s not true! i find it hard to believe that’s for sure. he was talking about spending “months” getting use to the new power and handling characteristics before he pushed it. that would explain why he hasn’t been on the board though. man, i hope not!!

26scarab 07-16-2002 03:48 PM

Really sorry to hear this. I hope everyone is okay.

Yes, that is ALLOT of power for that boat but this is our hobby and we know the risks.

Advantage_Rob 07-16-2002 03:48 PM

Let's hope this isn't true, and I for one am going to wait to get my info from the horses mouth, and keep in mind the definition of wreckless, consider the source, If I am cruising along at 70 and pass a guy who considers 40 too fast, and I lose a drive and the boat hooks, I'm sure his expert eye witness report would say I'm driving wrecklessly also, according to him...

There are alot of fast sunsations 24's & 25's around here, because they are built right here, and I never hear about this type of thing happening. This weekend an older 24 was running thru the slop at 70+ right next to me, just looked like he was having a good time to me, and getting some air time, I was having fun watching him, as were my passengers. I wasn't thinking wreckless at all. Lets relax before we pass judgement, and hope everyone is recovering if this is true. That afterall is about all that really matters!

Audiofn 07-16-2002 03:58 PM

I do not care if he had 2 Jeto packs and 900sc's in the boat. If he got hurt that is bad. Bad for all of us really. Our insurance will likely go up with all these accidents and some may get dropped all together. However lets keep our thought with the people that were in that boat and hope that they are all ok and it is not as bad as it may sound :( :( :(

Jon

CigDaze 07-16-2002 04:03 PM

I really feel for kook.
I hope that he and his passangers will be okay.

He was very excited and happy to get his boat back finally.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=28542

Best wishes! :(

Bayley 07-16-2002 04:04 PM

Right now, I'm just hoping this is all some very bad... sick... twisted joke. Although, I can't imagine anyone who reads this board would joke about something like this.

Lets all hope for the best.

-Bayley

mxz800 07-16-2002 04:13 PM

i just spoke to Kook. he will try to post later about what happened. he did not flip the boat. it was himself and one other passenger. his friend did get hurt. this is what i am saying just to try and keep this story from blowing out of proportion, all the details will have to come from Kook himself.

Rob

puder 07-16-2002 04:15 PM

I just spoke with kook on the phone

He did indeed have an accident. It was purely an accident. No alcohal or anything else related. They were going abotu 75 in a light wind chop and got hit with a wake from the side that neither he or his passenger saw. They went airborne (out of control) and when they came down teh imapact was enough to tear the drive off. At those speed in a light boat it was more than it could handle and they went on its side. Kook is aparently banged up but relatively ok. His buddy wasn't quite so lucky and went face first into the dash and is currently in the hospital in a coma.

This was an accident (a bad one at taht) but accidents do happen. Kook has not been issued any citations and he has spoken to his buddies family and they understand it was an accident. Please let try to keep all the rumors at bay and wish kook and more importantly his buddy a speedy and full recovery.

mxz800 07-16-2002 04:19 PM

Puder well said thanx

Audiofn 07-16-2002 04:21 PM

God PLEASE tell me he has insurance!!!

Waterfoul 07-16-2002 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info Puder. Wish his buddy a speedy recovery.

mattyboy 07-16-2002 04:22 PM

Hope all works out ok
they're in my thoughts and prayers

Mattyboy

CheckmateF1 07-16-2002 04:28 PM

Kook, I wish you two a speedy recovery. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Eric

NObaja 07-16-2002 04:31 PM

that's terrible, hope it turns out ok.

I tested a 25 last year with a 502MAG. Very fast boat but the chine-walk at 75 was uncontrollable. I considered that boat as over-powered.

WARPAINT 07-16-2002 04:34 PM

BEST WISHES AND A SPEEDY RECOVERY TO THOSE INVOLVED,AND A SAFE,HAPPY AND HEALTHY SUMMER TO ALL THE BOARD MEMBERS.

PhantomChaos 07-16-2002 04:35 PM

Sorrry to hear about this.........

Nort :( :( :(

PS: Puder....where were all the typos in your message? I actualy understood what you typed! :D

Mark in So. MD 07-16-2002 04:43 PM

So sorry, I wish for a full recovery to both of you.

Griff 07-16-2002 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info, Puder. I'm glad to hear kook's OK and sorry to haer about his freind getting hurt. I know he must be feeling terrible about the accident. Right now, kook needs our support, not Monday morning quaterbacking. I know if it happened to me, no matter how it happened, I would feel responsible. Pray for a speedy complete recovery for his buddy.

kook 07-16-2002 05:17 PM

Get the story from the person who was there

Ike my dear friend - from whom did you get such information? I will state the facts, and you can choose to believe what you wish.

1) There were 2 of us on the boat at the time.
2) Both of us had vests on.
3) I did not have anything to drink (or any other substance other than some Dayquil I was taking for a cold). I would never do such a thing when operating something like this boat. I have ridden street bikes for quite some time, and have enough common sense to realize that these machines demand your full, alert attention. There wasn't a drop of alcohol in the boat - a jug of lemonade and a few diet Cokes.
4) I did not receive any type of citation as of this time. The coast guard and the marine police were both at the scene and interviewed me when we returned to shore.
5) The boat, as it was, was capable of low 80's. It was not dialed-in, but I do not believe it was making the hp I was lead to believe.
6) I was only out in the water for maybe an hour and a half before the accident took place - to say that I was "driving recklessly all day" just doesn't make sense - in the first place, I wasn't out all day.

At around 3PM I picked up 2 guys on the Flats. Both put on life vests We headed towards Lloyd's Creek. The one guy is used to his much larger Scarab, and was not too keen on the bouncing around that is normal on a 25' boat - there was a decent amount of slop as we approached Turkey Point. We happened to cross paths with one of his buddies. I let him off, and he went back to the flats with his buddy.

My buddy who stayed with me (who's name must remain anonymous for the time being) and I made it to LLoyds, found nobody there we knew, and headed back towards the Flats.

At about the time we were going to cross over the NE River to the flats, the slop seemed to really calm down. We decided to keep going up the river, since the water was more suitable for this size boat.

We were about directly across from Bay Boat Works, doing around 75mph (guessing - I was more focused on what was ahead of me than on my GPS). I saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in front of me - clean water, no large boats anywhere nearby. We were both grinning ear to ear, loving the sound of the wind and the motor. Within the time I could blink and eye, we caught some air, I believe the nose touched down first and spun the boat around. I recall feeling as if we were close to vertical (port to starboard)..... I recall getting quite wet. I recall some loud noises........ And we came to a rest, 180 degrees from our direction of travel...... the motor still running (at idle, which I still don't understand :confused: )

The o/d was broken in 2 places - where is mounts to the gimbal, and right above the where the lower meets the upper.

Unfortunately, my friend's head took a liking to the dash and steering wheel - there is not much to hold onto in the shotgun seat, and I'm not sure that would have helped anyway.

Yes, I not have a lot of hours (approx 15) on the boat since the re-power. What I can say is that I had been on the water by myself for those hours in both choppy and flat conditions. I felt I was able to handle all the boat had to offer in those conditions. The flat water was the worst; the night before this happened, I had a blast running some other boats. AT WOT, (not just for a piddly 10 seconds) I was able to keep the boat under control. It required constant attention to steering, countering the chine walk. I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to stay on top of the boat.

Is there a Dave F on the board from up in my area? A guy who used to run a blown 24' Formula? I met 2 of your friends that night - running a 26' Velocity with twin o/b's - supposedly a 92 mph boat. We ran each other several times in the flat stuff, then stopped and talked a bit. I'd say he could vouche (to some extent) on how I handled the boat at speed.

What I did not have experience in was handling the boat at speed with significant boat traffic. Obviously, at the speed we were going, it didn't take much at all to get air under the boat - it's light, and I had it trimmed up pretty good. I don't care how good a driver you think you may be, but unless you had 20/5 vision, you wouldn't have been able to see any type of wake that was in our path - if you did, I doubt you would have had time to take the necessary safety measures. Maybe a more experience drive would not have trimmed up as I did, or maybe he would have "felt" how light the boat was in the water and would not push it to quite the limit I had.... I can't answer that because I have the experience that I have, nothing more.

I'd like to think that though I am an aggressive driver (be it boats, bikes, cars) that I know when to fold down. There were quite a few times out in the Bay where I just couldn't keep the speed I wanted to - sometimes this was only at 65mph. You get "feel" for the boat, you know your comfort zone, and you know when to pull that throttle back.

Say what you will, I know there are many rumors going around - someone called and asked me how my buddy was doing without his leg.... WTF?????? Even the fire company, who took my buddy to land, thought that I was ejected from the boat and swam back to it. There will always be rumors - that is a fact of life.

I will not be spending much time on the Board for a while - I will be visiting my friend in the hospital, and I plan to get away from here for a few days. I got very luck, with only bruised ribs. What I will NEVER, EVER forget is seeing my buddy, someone whom I work with, slumped down in front of me, almost lifeless. I feel extremely guilty, though I am being told I should not. Neither his life nor mine will be the same again. I pray for his full recovery - to see him the way he was - to see him back at work and back boating. He has always been a good person to me, never done wrong to me.

If anyone still believes the "boat rolled" story, I've uploaded a few pics of the damage. You can view them here:

dash pic

port rear

starboard rear

IMCO SC (what's left)

Feel free to e-mail. Not sure how often I'll be checking in during the next week.

-Mark

kook 07-16-2002 05:24 PM

I just had a chance to read the full thread. I appreciate all the support. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way. If I could switch places with my friend, I would. He did not deserve this. And I did not deserve to come out so unscathed. Life goes on, and we WILL get back to "normal".... Someday he and I will be out boating again, both a bit wiser. Speed costs, and speed also kills.

-Mark

Frequency 07-16-2002 05:33 PM

Kook,

Glad to hear you're OK. I hope your friend makes a quick recovery.

Greg

X-Rated30 07-16-2002 05:34 PM

Cleanest "rollover" boat I have ever seen.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad it wasn't negligence. Bad luck happens, and the only thing you can do is shake your head and start over.

T2x 07-16-2002 05:36 PM

Amen.............................. It happens that quick.........when you least expect it.

There's a great lesson here.............please take a minute to re-read the driver's impressions. If this causes one guy to make one better judgement, that averts one injury or fatality............It's a good ending to bad situation.

T2x

Aggressor 25 07-16-2002 05:36 PM

Mark,

I am very sorry to hear about you, and most of all, your friend. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Ty

[email protected]

Coddigtion 07-16-2002 05:36 PM

kook, I am glad to hear that you are ok. Sorry about your loss, hope to see you back to normal soon.