Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
So the wife and I are working on our bills when I say....... >

So the wife and I are working on our bills when I say.......

Notices

So the wife and I are working on our bills when I say.......

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Yep, they do.

Originally Posted by scarab63
Doesn't fountain make a ugly azz raised deck cabin cruiser type creation???
That would work !!!
We'll see. At this point I really like what mine does but I'm missing stand up head room (and a head and a galley etc, etc) down bellow.
May just be getting old
Old 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
my buddy bought his wife a snow blower lol..dont think that one would go over so well in fl ..
Ya prob not such a smart idea in illinois either!!!! Funny though!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Twin this might work if it really is 28' but I think its a 24 like yours

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/3458002201.html
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Default Yep.

Originally Posted by boomer
Hey Twin this might work if it really is 28' but I think its a 24 like yours

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/3458002201.html
Same as mine in the "before" condition
If you lift up the rear seat back you'll see the deck cracked on both sides where it transitions from side decks to transom cap from the transom flexing. EEK!

Did want to thank those that suggested the older Sonics though.
The 28's - 33's were nice boats w/very roomy cabins which of course I like. First 24' was all about WFO. This one I could care less.

If I stay in the performance arena and move up I'm very limited before everything changes drastically for me. As is, I can rebuild both motors and lower units, blind folded, w/used/free (new where needed) parts and tools in my garage for next to nothing.(W/a pair of big blocks and Bravo's those days are done)
Can also still tow it w/current tow vehicle and run single handed although I hardly ever do that any more.

I figure about 30' is my limit w/sticking w/clip on's (that I can afford) and limitations above.
I am not anti I/O I just know I'm spoiled w/what I have as far as space. Most 30' I/O boats have less than I do so that means I'm likely into the low 30's to be an upward move.

Mama will push hard for a cruiser if I let her although she is being good and leaving it up to me. A full cruiser like I used to have, I can handle going that slow. Heck, she can drive while I go mix a drink (Used to put my guest at the wheel on the bridge of my old cruiser while I grabbed a cigar and a drink and headed to the couch on the bow) The smaller traileaible cruisers though I'm not so sure.
While the Sonic was in process I bought a 23' Mako walk around cuddy as a pacifier. Went 35 w/the 150 O/B on it when I bought it and went 40 w/the 250 I built for it
We did one trip of about 90 mls (45 each way) on it w/its bow in the air, 25 mph cruising speed. Had to drive standing up to see over the bow! Was ready to put a gun to my head by the end of that trip

We went to see Pat Travers this weekend at one of the local tiki bars. While there, we saw a couple dinghy in from a cruiser anchored off one of the islands a mile out. I was REALLY digging that. We live in THE perfect area to do that. If it's calm you head to the Atlantic. If not, play in the I.C.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 12-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it figured this way. I just bought a house on the water in Lighthouse Point between Pompano and Boca 10 minutes from Hillsboro Inlet. I will finish the Formula and put it on the lift at the dock behind the house.

I have been looking for a place like this for a few years and caught the market and circumstances in perfect alignment. I'm closer to work by 30 miles and I will be able to walk out my back door, get in the boat and go!!

After I recover from buying the house...I'll look seriously for another diesel express cruiser. This time though...I won't have $10,000 worth of annual slip fees to fool with.

So...if there is suggestion here, it's consider buying a waterfront home while you can afford it...then save up and buy a cruiser to tie up at your own dock.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered

Default I want............

Originally Posted by sprink58
So...if there is suggestion here, it's consider buying a waterfront home while you can afford it...then save up and buy a cruiser to tie up at your own dock.
5 acres inland a couple miles w/a 30' X 60' pole barn w/concrete floors, 9' tall doors and what ever kind of house the Mrs wants Oh yeah, and two mean dogs.
I've had several up north and there's something to be said for being able to walk to your shop on a Saturday morning w/a cup of coffee in your hand, turn on the lights and have your baby right there waiting on you. No putting stuff way/dragging it back out every time, commuting, fogeting tools etc, etc.

Another component to the equation may be an I/O to O/B conversion. W/what I went through on this Sonic I could have done that way easier and cheaper. W/todays market too, it is way interesting looking at the potential candidates. Many for sale right now that are no power and in perfect condition.
Could sell my rig complete and build a couple more motors for next to nothing and have exactly what I want. For now
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Registered

Default So......

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
funny! Course I'd need a new tow vehicle and a 2nd payment just to feed the thing.

I like this one much better. Course it's a scam too as it's not even close to being a '2002.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31-J-...orcev4exp=true
I've been looking at cruisers and am blown away w/what we can get for the money I think I can get from my Sonic. Went and looked at the local marina again and really like it and the area too.
The wife, of course thinks this is the way to go and I'm close.

We all know the Mrs will vote that way but the other side of the coin is giving up the trailering ability, the orgasmic looks of an offshore boat, the feel of the speed etc, etc.
So I switch gears and look at what it would take to move up in the same style boat as I have now. Doing this I am again reminded in how spoiled I am w/the amount of room I have in my antique. Figuring 30' is about the limit of what I am willing to tow,fuel, maintain etc, there's hardly anything out there any better (creature comforts wise) than what I have and I don't want to move sideways.
I've been through every ad I can find including the classifieds here. Some gorgeous rigs but I'd need to go to 35' to see a real improvement over what I have and I'm not going there.

I keep coming back to this same boat listed above. Close to going to look at it as I'm imagining it's a turd in person and would wipe it off my list. Looks like a solid, hull, new cockpit upholstery, and near new trailer. Looking close at the pix's, everything else probably needs replaced, re-rigged.
In other words, a great starting point at the right price.
But check out the cabin. Love it, other than the 1972 color scheme. Motors would suck gas but probably no more than a set of I/O's and probably similar to V-6 O/B's which would be working their butts off pushing that load. Always wanted to build a couple of V-8's.

So after spending two yrs restoring my current 24' Sonic I need a favor from one of you guys.
I need someone to come over and kick me right square in the nads. And when I'm done crying, take my check book and help yourself.

Be way quicker and less painful.

Here's his most recent and accurate ad
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31-J-...orcev4exp=true

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-16-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary - You know the final outcome so you might as well get it over with and go buy the damn thing.

LT
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've followed some of your excursions vicariously and have fond memories of doing the same in my old Velocity 30. But , you are right the clip ons is a good way to stay. I used to be very limited with the big IO's at least down south (keys) As you said I think, maybe what you need is a swap project similar to a old Velocity or something else @30' .Something to work on for a year then swap over the eggbeaters. just my 02. Until then, keep havin fun, we're watchin!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

Was all set to go check it out today. Left a voice mail for the car lot guy telling him I'd been watching it and saw all the changes and wasn't sure it was for me but would like to see it to decide whether to cross it off the list.
He left a voice mail saying I better hurry because he had a lot of people hot on it.

After his message I think I'll wait on the crowd to get through It's about due to pop back on e-bay for the umpteenth time too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.