Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who's Using an Inverter on Board?? >

Who's Using an Inverter on Board??

Notices

Who's Using an Inverter on Board??

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Who's Using an Inverter on Board??

Looking to power mama's blow dryer, curling iron etc while on board. According to my math a 1000 watts will do what I want.
I can do that for about $100. but in researching it I can go to 2000 watts and have a "pure sine wave" style which of course doubles capacity and works w/TV's which the cheaper "modified sine wave" will not and doesn't cost much more.
Been thinking of this for a while but so far have survived on 12 V's DC.
Bought the Mrs DC stuff for Christmas before realizing that she'll then need her normal AC powered stuff to use at a marina meaning two of everything on our tiny ass boat.(ie, not gonna happen )

I have very limited real world experience w/inverters and it has all been 100% negative. What have you guys seen??
Most stuff that I can get to run on DC appears to be more power efficient than running through a DC to AC inverter and eating my batteries..
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this same model listed below if you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XANTREX-FREE...item3f182e7e47

I installed in our old boat to run the a/c but pulled it prior to selling the boat. I have the remote controller, wiring to remote and owners manuals. Unit is approx 5 years old.

PM me if interested.

Chad
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine. runs everything, all the time anytime

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-300...item565117472d
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
msm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Problems Here

I've got an Xantrex PROwatt SW 2000 that I bought new for under $400 a couple years ago. It's a well made unit and has not given me any problems. It comes with a detailed owner's manual so you can install it right the first time. I bought my custom battery cables for it from www.genuinedealz.com and was very happy with them.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need a dedicated battery. A blow drier will pull roughly 100 DC amps!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a Xantrex 1750w inverter to run my 5000 btu ac unit, worked great with no problems, I also ran a small tv and dvd surround system off of it in the cabin and it worked fine also. It was a regular cheap one I bought at Costco.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Great info guys. Wondering about battery capacity though. You guys in the bigger boats are all probably running dual banks no? I only run two batteries.
I do not have AC either so would only be hair tools for the Mrs and maybe a TV and coffee pot.

Finding these dirt cheap and thinking they'll do the job??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290838860707...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

Anyone doing this on a small cuddy like I am? Two batteries??
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

battery capacity is just as important as the rating of your inverter. A quick layman's formula is to divide the wattage by ten. That will give you a rough idea of amperage draw. example: a 1500W hair drier will pull roughly 150 amps at 12VDC. (about the same as a car starter)So it would pull down a standard grp 24 battery very quickly. Especially if she is really picky about her hair.

I don't know what a TV requires, but I know from experiance that it will easily go all night on a single battery using the same inverter.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I have a rolling showroom with a furnaces, air cleaner, UV light etc. I run a nice inverter and two batteries. A blower fan on a furnace is a good 300+watts so anything you may be using should be fine.
My first cheaper inverter did burn up though(as in caught fire) so that $61 one you posted is going to be a piece of junk. Anything thats going to last is going to closer to $200+

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-02-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I have a rolling showroom with a furnaces, air cleaner, UV light etc. I run a nice inverter and two batteries. A blower fan on a furnace is a good 300+watts so anything you may be using should be fine.
My first cheaper inverter did burn up though so I wouldn`t leave stuff on without being there.
You are correct that a gas fired furnace with a blower will only pull about 30A from the batteries. But most hair driers are 1500W. That is what the OP is inquiring about. Unless I missed that he is using a gas fired hair dryer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.