Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Neighborhood boat ramp rules >

Neighborhood boat ramp rules

Notices

Neighborhood boat ramp rules

Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well stated Griff. I think a beginning of the year letter to the residents stating a 1-2 pass max per household will be enforced and a sign put up near ramp and you will be good to go. As a matter of fact, sharing in tow fees will pay for passes and preventive maint on ramp and community property. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
c deezy
being we don't have any rules we have no recourse for anything. Enforcement will be done by the community association and if needed AA county police. The main issue is with no rules AACP hands are tied no matter what happens unless a county law is broken.

oreg
The community owns the ramp and surrounding property including parking. We don't have designated parking like stripes and such. The main issue is there is limited parking and we are finding that someone will show up at the ramp with their boat trailer and truck and then 4 of their buddies will also drive down in separate cars and all park leaving no parking for other boaters. The worst is when the original truck and trailer is not from the neighborhood.

T500hps
We have a good security gate and a cable to the top of the driveway. It's just the keys have got out of control. Neighborhood folks are getting multiply keys. Half the time you have no clue who is at the ramp even though there is only 98 houses within our hood and only about 25% of them have boats.

Sounds like the ramp near my house. Where in Dena are you?

Last edited by BumSauce; 01-04-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way is to charge a fee for a parking sticker to be used on the tow vehicle only. If no sticker, no parking. Our community asks a fee each year for anyone wanting to use the ramp, this helps with maintenance, etc.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Oreg, C Deezy
Great ideas but we don't even have a paved lot. And as for full time people and a ticket gate is way to much for our little ramp. I do like the sticker or place card (thanks Griff) idea though and would be easy for us to do.
Bum,
Rockwood Beach by Ft Smallwood park
Ted,
thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered

This is what we put up at our ramp. But our biggest problem is people fishing and people that have one jet ski using it as there personnel beach. Even though it has signs telling them not to. I usally tell them once and walk away and call the police.

Brfore entering the ramp area
Remove all tie downs except the winch hook attached to the bow eye of the boat. Remove any outboard or stern-drive tie downs or supports.
Disconnect the trailer wiring plug from the tow vehicle.
Stow needed gear and required equipment in the boat.
Make a thorough pre-launch check of accessories (engine compartment blower, bilge pump, lights, battery switches, etc.).
Place any docking equipment (boat hooks, paddles, fenders, etc.) within easy reach.
Have lines where they are handy. Secure at least one mooring line to a bow cleat.
Put in the drain plug. Check it for a proper fit.
Turn on the blower (if equipped).
Proceed to the ramp.
At the ramp...

When a lane is clear, back down the ramp slowly until the engine's cooling water intakes are submerged.
Start the engine. Letting it warm up prevents the engine from stalling at critical times when leaving the trailer.
Once the boat engine is running, check to see that everything is operating properly. Ease the engine into and out of reverse a few times. If it doesn't stall, the boat may be unloaded.
Unhook the bow winch hook.
Control the launch with the boat's forward and reverse throttle. Once off the trailer, lower the drive unit or motor.
On the water...

Do not tie on to launch docks or block the ramp while parking the tow vehicle.
Move the boat away from the ramp to await the return of the tow vehicle driver.
If you boat alone, pull into an area away from the ramp before parking the tow vehicle.
Retrieving your boat...

Drop a person off to pick up the vehicle and trailer while the boat and occupants wait offshore.
Do not block a ramp with your boat or vehicle.
The line at the ramp is formed by the tow vehicle's position in the line, not by the boat's position.
Back the trailer down the ramp into a launch lane.
The boat operator can slowly drive onto the trailer or the vehicle operator can connect the winch hook to the boat and crank the boat up onto the trailer.
Be sure the boat is centered on the trailer and the lower unit is raised before pulling out.
Proceed to an uncongested area of the parking lot to further secure the boat.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Oreg, C Deezy
Great ideas but we don't even have a paved lot. And as for full time people and a ticket gate is way to much for our little ramp. I do like the sticker or place card (thanks Griff) idea though and would be easy for us to do.
Bum,
Rockwood Beach by Ft Smallwood park
Ted,
thanks

Nice, I'm right around the corner from you on Stoney Creek.

Maybe if they ever get around to building those public ramps at the park it will take some pressure off your ramp.

My community does the locked chain across the entrance, which like you, doesn't do anything about the parking.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't hold you breath on the ramp thing. I hear with no money and they want more studies that it will be way down the road if at all.