Notices

International MXT

Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default International MXT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...ht_6937wt_1182

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o49264-en.html

Working on a deal for this bad boy. I think Recovery would look phenomenal behind it. I picture some nice vinyl graphics across the doors to match the side of the boat.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these? All input would be appreciated.

Is it like driving a grain truck down the road?

How about comfort level driving it to Havasu and Florida?

I assume it would handle the boat just fine. I also use my trucks to do some farm work. I know it would handle anything I need to pull but that is all country road stuff.

If I can get the deal done (trading my 08 F350) then I would like to put a shell on it. I assume it would have to be custom built. Any ideas on who could do such a project?

Thanks for the input.

Brett

Last edited by Orthobam; 01-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...ht_6937wt_1182

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o49264-en.html

Working on a deal for this bad boy. I think Recovery would look phenomenal behind it. I picture some nice vinyl graphics across the doors to match the side of the boat.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these? All input would be appreciated.

Is it like driving a grain truck down the road?

How about comfort level driving it to Havasu and Florida?

I assume it would handle the boat just fine. I also use my trucks to do some farm work. I know it would handle anything I need to pull but that is all country road stuff.

If I can get the deal done (trading my 08 F350) then I would like to put a shell on it. I assume it would have to be custom built. Any ideas on who could do such a project?

Thanks for the input.

Brett
I would hook the boat to it first and see how she pulls. Just my 2 cents

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Freightliner Sportchassis and it pulled the race with breeze and was comfortable. Didn't even know it had something behind it. The fuel consumption was the same with the boat or without the boat. Torque was insane. Mine had the air suspension seats (i highly recommend that makes a world of different). Ive never ridden a MXT but i would assume it would be about the same. Go for it but than you need a tilt trailer.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 400 more ft lbs of torque in a 300 hp cat motor, don't know how much of a difference that will make with the pulling you want to do.
Do you need dual rear wheels for pulling stability?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have used one to pull a 18,000 lb Riva center console back and forth to So Flo from Canada and it worked great.

Still drove like a dually but pulled like a "big" truck.....
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a couple freightliner sport chassis and currently have a 650 the cat does have more torque air seats are a big plus even with air ride cab. is there air suspension? freightliners and 650s have higher tow capacity.and most have 6 speed allisons. and resale, freightliners and 650s hold good value not sure about international. another thought is I never needed 4x4 with my trucks talked to a couple guys with chevy haulers and they never need 4x4 nice to have the day you do need it though. looks a little smaller than a 650 or sport chassis. might be a little more daily driver freindly if you plan on using as a driver, although I drive mine . very cool truck has a great look.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's one bad a$$ looking truck. I looked at those back when they came out. Not sure if they make them any more, but seemed like a lot of show and not much go. With a 40 gal fuel tank, towing from California to Miami means stopping for fuel A LOT. Also at the time, can't remember what boat I had but I think I was too close to the max towing capacity of that thing, which I think you'll be at with your Skater. I heard that V8 motor isn't as good as the inline 6 engines. A lot less torque. I've had a lot of trucks and finally bought a Sportchassis in 2010. I wish I had bought one a long time a go. I think you'll be better off with one of those or a 650. You won't get an 08 Sportchassis for that money, but you can get close. The Sportchassis drives and rides better than any of the Ford 1 tons that I've had. Just my 2 cents..
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Registered

I would take a similar truck for a drive at highway speed before you purchase. From my experience, the Internationals are not a bad truck, but the cabs are very noisy at speed and the engines are underpowered. Also, the interiors are not as well built as the alternatives.

I would suggest a Pete or Kenworth with a Cat or Cummins powerplant if you can find one. Much better built and much more comfortable.

I would also recommend an F650, basically a big F350 with more pulling power.

The Allison transmissions suck quite a bit of power compared to the handshakers, I would want as much engine as I could get. I would also consider Airride suspension mandatory, as well as air seats, for the driver, and passenger if you are going to have one regularly.

From my experience, the wind noise in the Internationals are like having someone next to you blowing a whistle while driving over 50MPH, the interiors leave something to be desired, and the IH engines are underpowered compared to the alternatives.