Notices

Old Racing Exhaust

Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Old Racing Exhaust

I was looking through some old racing pictures and i see that most of the exhaust had water shooting out them but now race boats exhaust don't seam to have the water coming out them. Why is that?

Also i noticed towards the end of the 80's they started having the exhaust come out the side vs the rear any thoughts on why?

thanks for your input
Attached Thumbnails Old Racing Exhaust-007_71.jpg   Old Racing Exhaust-9-3-.jpg   Old Racing Exhaust-87-c-22-.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chewiekw
I was looking through some old racing pictures and i see that most of the exhaust had water shooting out them but now race boats exhaust don't seam to have the water coming out them. Why is that?

Also i noticed towards the end of the 80's they started having the exhaust come out the side vs the rear any thoughts on why?

thanks for your input
Out the side was easy for Staggered engines. Right off the heads and straight out the side with a very smooth flowing angle and short rought. Water exiting out a seperate exit allowed for less back pressure, more noise, less chance for inversion with radical cam's and stronger closed end tail pipes.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by legend
Out the side was easy for Staggered engines. Right off the heads and straight out the side with a very smooth flowing angle and short rought. Water exiting out a seperate exit allowed for less back pressure, more noise, less chance for inversion with radical cam's and stronger closed end tail pipes.
Also considerably lighter to loose two long large jacketed pipes full of water and dump out the side.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

was the water cooling the exhaust or the engines?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

both....