Notices

My 0.02 on the soap box

Old 07-19-2002, 02:39 PM
GRH

I am not sure that licencing is the answer, but I do think it would help educate newcomers to "Boating Etiquette" .... Just last weekend I was cruising at 35 mabee 40 mph in my little 24' SUPERBOAT.... for those that are unfamiliar its a 7' beam 24 degree hull with drop out bolsters.... old style small offshore boat... anyway my 10 yr old son was at the helm(has completed the safe boating coursee)... my 5 yr old daughter in the seat next to him & me standing between them close to the wheel & throttle... OK that may sound risky, my hand was never 6" from the wheel & I never took my eye off the kids(both in life vests) or our heading for a SECOND.... a boat I hadn't seen before, I believe it was a Checkmate 25'.... heading the opposite direction turns around & runs us down.... pulls up along side & waves us on! My son say's "Dad you better drive"... I said ignore them John.... these 3 Heros flip me the finger & blast off.... JP says "Dad did you see what he did".... Well... 5 - 10 yrs ago that never would have hapened where I live.... but thats whats out there these days.... more money then brains .... I had a guy tell me he never heard that sailboats have the right of way! He was driving a beautiful new 60+ mph boat.... there's alot of accidents out there just waiting to happen I'm afraid.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Gumbydammit

Coast guard classes are awesome!

I would be satisfied if someone just taught people what a no wake zone meant!