Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
With magazines dying, I am curious... >

With magazines dying, I am curious...

Notices
View Poll Results: Would you pay $60-$72/yr for a good Perf Boating mag?
Yes
58.93%
No
41.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

With magazines dying, I am curious...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With magazines dying, I am curious...

If there was a good MONTHLY performance boating magazine, would you pay $60-$70/year for it? This could allow it to breakeven and make its profit via SOME advertising maybe...

It would need about 25,000 subscriptions to accomplish this...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

Default I will start....

Originally Posted by Moving2Miami
If there was a good MONTHLY performance boating magazine, would you pay $60-$70/year for it? This could allow it to breakeven and make its profit via SOME advertising maybe...

It would need about 25,000 subscriptions to accomplish this...
Definite yes from me...I like reading an actual magazine and can get hours of enjoyment out of that $5-$6 per month...what else can you do for that amount of money that you enjoy so much?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

forums killed magazines, What are you going to read in a magazine that won't get shown here 30-60 days before that magazine ships?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy it. But not if all I am going to see and read about the boats I can never afford or the big runs I will never be able to go to. Need to have a readers ride section and a resto/classic section. Do some stories on smaller pokerruns not just Miami to Key West and Desert Storm. Need to target the average boaters interest not just the ballers.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd subscribe!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

I would for sure.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I would buy it. But not if all I am going to see and read about the boats I can never afford or the big runs I will never be able to go to. Need to have a readers ride section and a resto/classic section. Do some stories on smaller pokerruns not just Miami to Key West and Desert Storm. Need to target the average boaters interest not just the ballers.
X2. I would rather read a 3-4 page article on a resto project that was done over a few years than poker run that took place in Europe.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I agree. Mag's like Grassroots Motorsports is one of those that still cater to the "do it yourselfer".

They need travel tips, if their gonna feature an event, list all the popular places to stay, where to buy fuel (race and otherwise), popular places to eat, boat ramps, storage, event fees, etc.)

They need to have articles showing how to rebuild a B1, upgrading your Garmin GPS, installing Captains Call, simple motor upgrades (i.e. cam only, exhaust, blower vs. pro-charger, etc.)

A magazine like that I would keep volumes of as reference for the future.

I like to dream as much as the next guy, so YES, I wanna see that new DCB/NorTech/Frisini. But not more then one of them per issue.

Readers rides, where a guy can show off his floating turd to the whole world.

Tech questions/answers submitted to a worldly known builder/repair facility that will shoot you straight up replies.

Inland waterway trips. Excursions of sorts, showing interesting sights along the way, places to stay that cater to boaters, places to eat, etc.

Of course regatta's, poker runs, get togethers of all types and sizes. A place a group can post their event on a calendar with contact info.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

I would be into it, but i love mags. I subscribed to hot boat and powerboat for years, and miss them both. hot boat especially, before they got sold and went family friendly in their last year or so I thought it was the greatest boating mag ever! forums and the web are great, but theres something about holding that paper in your hands, and I miss that with the good performance boat mags being gone.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Ummmm, no

The Professor gets it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.