Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Have you guys checked Texas?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryder,
One of the guys I worked with here, left and is a Maintainence Supervisor for Seminole Electric Cooperative down in Lakeland, FL and could probably give you some info on the industry down there. I might even give him a ring soon, heard he had an opening that I could fit in to. He's a Brooklyn boy. I could give you his name and number if you want to chat with him, just PM me.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't been to Texas yet. Don't know what the areas are like down there.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually sitting in a hotel right now working on a project for duke energy in zepherhills FL. Clearing for a new transmission line from Kathleen to zepherhills. Just north of lakeland by about 20 miles.

There are also some waste to energy plants around Florida, covanta has 3 or 4, as well as others...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Florida power and Light was waiting on approval for two more units at Turkey Point Nuke South of Miami in Homestead. I am a Fire Sprinkler Contractor working with an Alarm Contractor waiting on that or something else to pop down here...money is good because of my license. It's been dead as hell since '07.

If I didn't have a State Licence (Fire Sprinkler & General Contractor)in two categories I would be in Texas...no recession there. Bakersfield, CA is hot now with the oil thing going on...if you're a pipe welder you'll walk in at scale. If your a younger guy with no ties...Perth Australia on the West coast is building a multi billion $ gas plant ...on their knees for US and UK fitters and welders. If I was in my 30's or younger that's where I would be

I do my Fire gig here in SE Florida and qualify a GC in Panama City doing storm window and curtain wall upgrades to the new High Velocity Hurricane Zone standards.

My advice...don't come down here looking for NY scale...and if you're not "hooked up" your IBEW or UA travel card will have you on the bench in line. Talk to some of the BA's in Jacksonville, Tampa and at the Cape to see when the next Nuke Shut Downs for maintenance and refuel are coming up...you might get lucky.

Also check Palo Verde in Phoenix...I hear they are about to start something. I was there for 18 months...saved my a$$...I was circling the drain in '07~'08.

If you do Fire Sprinkler PM me.

Good Luck...seriously...we've all been there.