The Future of Powerboat Values >

The Future of Powerboat Values

Notices

The Future of Powerboat Values

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Future of Powerboat Values

What is your opinion of the future of powerboat values, this year, in a few years and five years and beyond?

You could argue that as less new powerboats are made the used boats will be refurbished and continue to hold value. Also there are less powerboats to supply the demand.

-OR-

You could argue that as less new powerboats are made and the used market gets older the value of the boats, tighter loan requirements, uncertain fuel prices, tighter noise restrictions all will pull down the value of used boats.

I sold my powerboat last spring and bought a pontoon last fall. I'm not going to lie that I miss it and watch the powerboat market almost daily. It seems to me that the boats that are selling are "good deals". However, some boats such as apaches (I love them) don't seem to make any adjustments on asking price but also sit on the market forever.

Look forward to any comments.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I feel the used market prices are increasing, but I think overall wakeboard boats are taking over the world!!!! Also enventually the used boats are going to be to old and/or to expensive that the few people left running performance boats will opt to buy new ones.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Remain same or go down. All I know is that I've spent too much already and it's not even half done!

It's just getting too expensive to have fun.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Registered

Good used ones are getting hard to come by...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it's simple supply and demand. I expect nice boats to fetch a respectable price. Not all that many nice boats for sale. Very few new boats being produced. With the low volume on new boats, they will have to be very costly for the manufacturers to make a profit.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The price of new boats has gotten so frikken expensive that late model (probably 2005+) will probably stand to increase (a little).

I have seen a trend that the super deals are long gone.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be seeing more boats parted out. The pieces are worth more than the whole boats in most cases.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm on the long range planning committee at my Yacht Club, and was maknig the point the other day that the demographics of boating are changing.

People of my generation (born in the 80's 90's, and beyond) do not have the resources or knowledge to deal with a boat like ours. It's a generation of people who can't drive stick, can't change their own oil, can't put their I-pad down and go outside, couldn't build a crooked birdhouse with a set of plans. It's a demograph who don't own any tools and certainly can't doing anything with their hands that require more than calling a repairman or changing the channel.

As a result of that inherent change in people the demand for boats like ours will fall because for MOST people you either know how to work on these things, or you have so much money you can afford to pay people to. The later generations are neither. Couple that with the fact that for $3k a potential boater can go on Craigslist and buy a used Jetski that goes 70 MPH, can keep it in their garage, tow it with their Accord, and burn 5 gallons a weekend and you've got a recipe for lost interest in bigger boats (whether go-fast or not).

On top of all that it seems to me that about 50% of America base every life decision on the price of gas so the thought of owning a big truck and a big boat are unconscionable on account that gas prices might go up $0.15.

I think the go-fast market is shrinking and from there the forces of supply and demand will take root. Will we have some anomolies created by the crushing economic times we saw the last few years? Probably. Overall though - medium and long term I think basic demand will lessen prices (in real terms).
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I'm on the long range planning committee at my Yacht Club, and was maknig the point the other day that the demographics of boating are changing.

People of my generation (born in the 80's 90's, and beyond) do not have the resources or knowledge to deal with a boat like ours. It's a generation of people who can't drive stick, can't change their own oil, can't put their I-pad down and go outside, couldn't build a crooked birdhouse with a set of plans. It's a demograph who don't own any tools and certainly can't doing anything with their hands that require more than calling a repairman or changing the channel.

As a result of that inherent change in people the demand for boats like ours will fall because for MOST people you either know how to work on these things, or you have so much money you can afford to pay people to. The later generations are neither. Couple that with the fact that for $3k a potential boater can go on Craigslist and buy a used Jetski that goes 70 MPH, can keep it in their garage, tow it with their Accord, and burn 5 gallons a weekend and you've got a recipe for lost interest in bigger boats (whether go-fast or not).

On top of all that it seems to me that about 50% of America base every life decision on the price of gas so the thought of owning a big truck and a big boat are unconscionable on account that gas prices might go up $0.15.

I think the go-fast market is shrinking and from there the forces of supply and demand will take root. Will we have some anomolies created by the crushing economic times we saw the last few years? Probably. Overall though - medium and long term I think basic demand will lessen prices (in real terms).
I agree plus the younger generation is smarter.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I feel the used market prices are increasing, but I think overall wakeboard boats are taking over the world!!!! Also enventually the used boats are going to be to old and/or to expensive that the few people left running performance boats will opt to buy new ones.
What is the deal with the wake board boats? I see them everywhere but hardly ever see anyone "wakeboarding" behind them. Seems like the younger crowd buys them so they can mount speakers on the tower and annoy everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.