Notices

Ford Powerstroke Deisel

Old 07-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gmhdfan,
Mercon V is a big no no for the 4r100....its the only tranny ford makes that is suppose to have Mercon fluid due to friction issues. It says in all their TSB's and even in the manual in big bold letters not to use Mercon V or any dual rated fluid The problems is most dealers buy their fluids in bulk and will put in Mercon V because thats what they have on hand. Had it happen to me...took my ride in for service at the end of my warranty and had them flush and refill tranny (as per maintenance schedule)they put Mercon V in it and within 2,000 miles I had a smoked tranny Well ford put up the dime to put in R+R tranny and guess what they put in it Mercon V even though they just paid for that mistake once already. I took in 17qts of Amsoil to have them put that in and they told me if I did, it would void my new 2yr 20,000 mile warranty because it was a dual rated fluid (which means it meets the specs of mercon and mercon V). Can you believe that? I took it straight home and put it in anyway and my tranny temps dropped 30 degrees right off the bat.

Fred
The production line is firing up now.....they've produced the first few engines and have sent them off for testing. From what I've heard the new 6.0 is a monster engine with more HP and torque of the current PSD and so quiet you can't tell it's a deisel
Old 07-19-2002, 02:49 PM
liquid lounge

Pre- pump fuel line mod:

Parts:18" of 5/16" diesel rated fuel line and 4 hose clamps for fuel line. That's it. Available at NAPA, etc. for 4-5 dollars.

Procedure: Underneath truck, drivers side, about where footwell is, locate electric fuel pump sitting inside of frame rail. Remove quick connect fitting and hose from suction side of pump[the hose from pump to fuel tank]. Cut new hose to length and replace with hose clamps. Done. Most guys stretch hose over the small retainer collar and utilize 2 hose camps on pump end of hose, I just pushed mine up to the collar and used 1 hose clamp.

Why in the world would this do anything to help your truck run better?!! I was very skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer, you will be too if your truck is SUCKING AIR. It seemsthe quick connect fitting you have just tossed, while excellent as a positive pressure connection is less than ideal as a negative pressure connection allowing air to be pulled into the fuel system. This air entrained fuel can cause your truck to run louder, rougher, and inconsistent. I'm not saying all late model PSD's suffer from this, but my '01 did and I think many if not most will given enough time.

Give the fix a try....it's easy. Alot of people have re-done the fittings all the way to the fuel tank pick-up foot, reporting even more improvement. I'm not in the mood to drop my tank just yet, but I probably will in the near future and will post results. Take Care All - Berg

Old 07-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Registered

We also built a V/6 crank-polisher for them, I hear those engines will be going in F-150's....they are supposed to put out a ton of power also, I don't recall what liter they are,....Fred
Old 07-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Registered

audacity its real hard to do so you may not want to

go to your autoparts store and get about 12" of 5/16 deisel rated fuel line and two hose clamps. Then take the vitron fitting off the back of the fuel pump(little clip pulls out and the fitting pulls off) and where it goes to the hard line from your tank and replace with the new hose and clamps. You won't believe the difference That fitting on the back of the fuel pump sucks air and introduces it into your fuel which with the ford dead rail system gets forced through the injectors causing noise and injector damage

Once you get that done then its time to due the tank mods for the same reason... and then the regulator mods so you get better fuel delivery. ahhh hell ...go join www.Ford-deisel.com and read all about it
Old 07-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by liquid lounge

Give the fix a try....it's easy. Alot of people have re-done the fittings all the way to the fuel tank pick-up foot, reporting even more improvement. I'm not in the mood to drop my tank just yet, but I probably will in the near future and will post results. Take Care All - Berg [/B]
I've done all three pre-pump, in tank, and regulator and have gained about 3MPG, power response, and its so quiet I can order fast food without shutting the truck off
Old 07-19-2002, 03:22 PM
liquid lounge

Euby- What configuration did you use on your regulator mod? Seems like a new and improved way to do it comes out every day.
I met up with Dan LeBlanc aka "The Hammer" and he was running a dual circuit with CV's left in. To say the least, I was very impressed. Mine sounded like a Northern Alliance T-34 compared to his. I'm just waiting for the final "best" configuration to hit, then I will be doing mine. Take Care, Berg

Old 07-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Troutly, your info on the PSD has always been spot on. I just tried to spec out a new 03 with 6.0 and they had that "deer in the headlight" look on their faces. I guess I'll have to talk to a dealer that knows!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try and get to the truck and give you more info later. I know they said they replaced the valve body and some other stuff. Good info on hear I am psyched I posted up as I now know of a fuel repair and also to make sure they used the correct fluid in there

Jon
Old 07-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

liquid,
I started off with the dual feed without the cv's and then switched to the single feed... in the back of the drivers head out the front and then crossed over to the back of the passanger head and out the front to the regulator using AN4 lines. I haven't noticed any performance difference between the two, but I can feel pulses from the injector feedback in the single feed line (if you grab ahold of it) and the return fuel temps are about 50 degrees warmer. With the single feed line I've had to up my fuel pressure to 68lbs where I only had to run about 60lbs with the dual feed. I'm thinking about an accumalator before the return to the tank to help with the split shot feedback. I'm just afraid with the pulses its working the regulator and actually causing a pressure drop or at least flucuations in fuel pressure in the passanger head. I may just go back to the dual feed and put some sort of bleed off valve at the regulator. Either way its better than the "dead head"
Old 07-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

I told you to get a Dodge.

Quick Reply: Ford Powerstroke Deisel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.