Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cigarette Racing Releases Electric 38’ Top Gun >

Cigarette Racing Releases Electric 38’ Top Gun

Notices

Cigarette Racing Releases Electric 38’ Top Gun

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't look like a hybrid but a pure electrically driven boat with batteries. I would think you need to look at recharge time and voltage to recharge it, can't imagine you plug it into the wall outlet. I assume 220V/240V single phase like any typical shore power connection would be. You run it for a few hours and need to get it charged for how long before it can't driven back home?

It's interesting if nothing else.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Johnson
Yes the release said "electrically driven boat"...changed the text to reflect that. More in-depth story to follow after our interview with Braver and an AMG representative this afternoon.
Thanks, Jason. As J can attest, when you're cutting and pasting—and rewriting—at full speed it's easy to omit key words. Yikes. Again, sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
It doesn't look like a hybrid but a pure electrically driven boat with batteries. I would think you need to look at recharge time and voltage to recharge it, can't imagine you plug it into the wall outlet. I assume 220V/240V single phase like any typical shore power connection would be. You run it for a few hours and need to get it charged for how long before it can't driven back home?

It's interesting if nothing else.
With the small number of batteries in those pics I doubt if it is going to be running for hours unless AMG has made a breakthrough in battery technology.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't they put a diesel generator in it like a train?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
My golf cart has 1/4 as many batteries as we see in those pictures and it doesn't weigh 14,000 lbs and I would imagine one of those motors could drain them in 30 seconds. How does this whole set up work in principal? Just doesn't seem like near enough batteries or anything of significance to recharge them.
You must have a big azz golf cart! I am thinking that what you see next to the engines are capacitors, the batteries take up the entire area that is used for fuel tanks, plus some

-60733_486251591431256_1017314813_n.jpg
Old 02-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
You must have a big azz golf cart! I am thinking that what you see next to the engines are capacitors, the batteries take up the entire area that is used for fuel tanks, plus some

Attachment 493807
Thanks, it is a Tumberlin and a really nice cart but you are right, I didn't see that pic with the batteries located where the fuel tanks are. Even still I would be amazed if you can run that thing for hours. I guess you just carry jumper cables in case you do
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, it is a Tumberlin and a really nice cart but you are right, I didn't see that pic with the batteries located where the fuel tanks are. Even still I would be amazed if you can run that thing for hours. I guess you just carry jumper cables in case you do
I think someone figured out on FB it would run 14 minutes at WOT. It takes 20 min for me to get out of our channel, to open water. I would guess it would not even have enough battery at idle speed to make it out the channel and back.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's say idle around on the IC for a few hours, I agree there are a good number of batteries there but I don't see how it could run too long at a good cruise speed either?

It's not for production, it's a cool marketing piece and I can see it going around to select MB dealers for display, I think it will do what it was designed to do - get lots of press!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Thats some interesting stuff for sure!!

4bus, i think those "capacitors" you are talking about may be inverters to change the power over to 3 phase....wonder what kind of power those motor draw? The gearbox sure looks cool too

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Now if the batteries were omitted and a diesel generator capable enough to handle the load was installed, I think that could be a viable offshore boat. Im just surprised Cig jumped into electrics this early.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.