Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative >

Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative

Notices

Florida Powerboat Club Launches Safety Initiative

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with just doing organized fun runs for 0. We do them at loto, we all meet at a origin site and take off at once to several destinations, what is the $650.00 for
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The other issue is without the "heavy metal in attendance" would less people go? Years back the Miami Boat Show PR showcased all the new boats in action that you saw the previous week at the show! This year NT had no performance boats, Formula had one 35, Cigarette had one Marauder/One 42X (not expecting to see the electric TG on the water anytime soon), MTI, OL and Hustler had several each though some were used boats.

In years past the every manufacturer had a theme boat in addition to new customer boats. Dealers like Fastboats/Hideaway would have 2-3 brand new customer boats, OL used to show up with the Nascarlike Hauler/painted to match the tow vehicles.....it was a lot of heavy metal coming to town!
It's nice to see the big boys at a run but that's not why I go. I just want to have a good time on the water with other boat guys. The Donzi classic guys do runs and it isn't less exciting. On one run I was the biggest boat with my 28 and it was one of the best I have done.

In other news, half of the guys running the big boats are dicks and won't give a peon like me the time of day.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Right there with ya Joey and soon I'll literally be there on the water once I put dash back together. Lol
I'm sure we'll be heading out somewhere when you're up and running and if you feel the need before then you if we don't have anybody down, you're welcome to share a ride with us.

Back from where we came from (LOTO), in the last few years all the permitted Poker Runs have had a 70mph speed limit, so there's not much problem there, but down here it's wide open and I don't try and keep up.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The sad truth is that some Poker Runs are indeed poorly organized races for a few of the fastest boats. This leads to several problems. First, the fast boats are running without adequate safety measures either for themselves or for the other people sharing the waterway they happen to be flying down. One only has to look at the My Way crash last year to see how pure dumb luck played an critical role in nobody getting hurt or sued. That one could have been ugly.

Second, no matter how "safe" some of the big guys think they are, most of the folks driving and riding in them have zero racing experience. Lets face it, even fully prepared race boats with professional crews can crash and the occupants die at anything over 70 MPH. And one never sees "passengers" in race boats.

Third, although it's true that most folks come to a Poker Run to see the fast / big boats, not everybody wants to or is capable of running with them. But, when you get somebody inexperienced behind the wheel of their first fast boat and they try to keep up with the big boys, bad things are bound to happen.

Let's face it folks, Poker Runs - the way many of them are run today - are a target rich environment for ambulance chasers. I'm surprised more runs haven't been chased out of existence. If we don't police ourselves, Big Brother will step in and do it for us. (Or was that to us?)

So what the FPC asking for here is probably long overdue - although some have been asking for it for years. (Just ask the guys who used to run the Smoke on the Water run.) Some clubs (like the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association) have separated boats either by top speed or driver preference for years - for the very reasons mentioned. And trust me, after over 20 years or running events that way, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tom
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the meeting & of course, safety is #1!!! I appreciated Stu invited me 2 attend as I help out w/ Boyne Thunder & am always look'n 4 more/better info on poker run issues 2 help make BT better & safer! w/ that said, I feel the "big" cat guys had some valid points from their constructive criticisms of some of the changes!!! X will tell how it will B recieved by poker run participants!!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orionsilverboat
Whats wrong with just doing organized fun runs for 0. We do them at loto, we all meet at a origin site and take off at once to several destinations, what is the $650.00 for
At Boyne Thunder, ( I believe we R at $650 also) anyway, that is 4 multiple meals, docking, prizes, gifts, tents, other rental "stuff", etc, etc, some 2 the city( our event is ran by the city of Boyne) I believe & also 2 our main chartity which is Camp Quality!!

Last edited by wrinkleface; 02-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

My wife and I are doing the FPC run next week and are very much looking forward to it.

We are also doing the FMO run the following weekend....and are very much looking forward to it.

Craig
Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I understand what they are trying to accomplish, and I hope they find a solution that helps all enjoy poker runs safetly.

BUT....where does it end???

This reminds me of GUN CONTROL

No offense to anyone involved or reading this. I understand both sides and hope we all can work as a team to keep poker runs alive.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also abhor the idea of added regulation or extra rules but lets face it running 100+mph with a group of other boats running 100mph on open waterways is a recipe for disaster..
No matter how good those drivers are eventually some drunk moron in a center console(or pontoon boat if you are on a lake) with ten people on board is gonna think its a good idea to cut in between that group and someone will not be able to avoid him and unfortunately you know it does not matter whose fault it was all poker runners will be blamed..
If we ourselves start to control the runs then maybe we can get the law on our side so when that does happen they wont come down on us.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a member of FPC I was invited to attend a 1 PM meeting today (Friday, 2/15) at the Miami Boat Show. Yours truly second row closest to camera.

[IMG][/IMG]

As can always be expected from our Club President Stu Jones, a professional presentation was given outlining the Club's current agenda for safety.

The meeting began with Stu introducing representatives from the USCG, Florida Marine Patrol as well as Miami-Dade Public Safety Department. Stu has orchestrated a co ordinated effort utilizing the resources of these 3: agencies to better serve the safety needs of the members of the FPC in next weeks Miami Boat Show Poker Run. After introductions, Stu presented the outline which is covered elsewhere in this thread.

After presenting the program, Stu solicited comments and suggestions from the membership as well as Performance Boating Industry leaders such as Bob Teague and Jim Nichols of Lake Racer, LLC from Lake Havasu, AZ... promoters of the "Desert Storm" event. Several members took issue with the 3 "speed" classes of event participants and the fee schedule associated with each. Stu explained that the fees were necessary to pay for the enhanced support required from the 3 aforementioned government agencies to insure that the highest level of safety would be maintained during the event.

Guys...this is what we face in our increasingly litigious society and coupled with the enhanced speeds that we are capable of running due to "Paradigm Shifts" in the technology of our boats. In the mid to late 70's if we were running a twin powered V-Bottom that would run 65 MPH we had the leading edge of equipment available. Now 65 is barely entry level in this game with triple digit capable Factory boats being the norm. It's time to "Pony Up" and pay the dues for our own safety and protection.

As a whole, offshore power boaters are highly a intelligent and safety conscious group. Keep in mind that Newton's First Law of Motion is a real world constant and the physics of the speeds we are running create big safety concerns. Lets govern ourselves and create and abide by safety practices that we know work, that we create...before further tragedy visits our sport and invites a Governmental "Knee Jerk" response and mandates that we do not want to see.

Stu Jones has taken a bold and pro active step in the right direction and I for one support his strategy and ideas fully. The future of our sport and the industry that supports it depend on our collective efforts to preserve it.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.