Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a brokered boat with a trade. >

Buying a brokered boat with a trade.

Notices

Buying a brokered boat with a trade.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a brokered boat with a trade.

Im not buying a sport boat but I value the opinion of the guys here on the board so I figured I would ask.

I'm buying a cruiser that is being brokered. They are taking my cc on trade. I'm going to see the boat soon and I'll be giving a check for deposit after seeing the boat. The boat is still in warranty, but I'm still going to be doing a full survey if I like what I see. Is a water test totally nessecary on a boat with 13 hours? Money of the test is not the issue. Getting the boat to the water then doing a rewinterization and re shrink wrap all seems like a lot of work. At time of ship the hard top has to come off anyhow but it seems like extra work. It may make sense to buy a new one with no stress/ time involved with all of this.

What would be standard operating procedure after that? The boat is about 800 miles from me. It has to be shipped professionally because of the size, and it's winter here so I was thinking I would get it shipped In the spring. Does it make sense to close on a boat give them my trade and have the boat 800 miles away? Would you give them deposit on the chance they will like my trade???

Thanks for the input even though I'm looking at a cruiser. I've never bought a brokered boat boat before. My thoughts are show with the trade and a check and leave with the boat I bought, but weather and timing are tricky here in the NE.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carguy08
Im not buying a sport boat but I value the opinion of the guys here on the board so I figured I would ask.

I'm buying a cruiser that is being brokered. They are taking my cc on trade. I'm going to see the boat soon and I'll be giving a check for deposit after seeing the boat. The boat is still in warranty, but I'm still going to be doing a full survey if I like what I see. Is a water test totally nessecary on a boat with 13 hours? Money of the test is not the issue. Getting the boat to the water then doing a rewinterization and re shrink wrap all seems like a lot of work. At time of ship the hard top has to come off anyhow but it seems like extra work. It may make sense to buy a new one with no stress/ time involved with all of this.

What would be standard operating procedure after that? The boat is about 800 miles from me. It has to be shipped professionally because of the size, and it's winter here so I was thinking I would get it shipped In the spring. Does it make sense to close on a boat give them my trade and have the boat 800 miles away? Would you give them deposit on the chance they will like my trade???

Thanks for the input even though I'm looking at a cruiser. I've never bought a brokered boat boat before. My thoughts are show with the trade and a check and leave with the boat I bought, but weather and timing are tricky here in the NE.

Thanks in advance.
Once it is yours, keep it in your possession.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Registered

I would take it with me personally although I also would be concerned about the shipping aspect of this. Once the hard top is removed they seem to never go back together the same way they left the manufacturer. Good chance of the top leaking and eventually rot. Just something to think about.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Shoreline and buy a new Formula..
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
Go to Shoreline and buy a new Formula..
Times are tough.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we all read a lot of horror stories about brokered boats. and titles/or documentation i would ask how is the whole deal put together. the cruiser owner needs to be paid,his bank needs to be paid to release lein and your boat needs to be paid off ,if not already.is the broker writing a check for your boat or wholesaling it? i would want to see the whole deal on paper and the copys of everybodys checks for all pay offs, including taxs. if the broker has nothing to hide he should be willing to show you how the deal is structured. I did a repo for a finance company a couple years ago, a guy went aboat show and wrote a check for a ski boat , the dealer said he will store till spring for the guy,guess what he never paid the floor plan co or taxs. we repoed the invintory including his paid for boat. lucky after a few months in court he got it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Not a cruiser!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

I'm gonna look like every other dope on LG.
Thanks John.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
not a cruiser!!
+1