Notices

Hacker Craft

Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Glad they found their spot. Did my best to put them in N Broward but no luck. Great people.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
i saw one roll over like barrel behind me trying to cross my wake, I was running behind N Bay Rd doing about 35 and as he came out of my wake to pass me the boat just rolled right over! Luckily the two guys on board weren't seriously hurt. They are beautiful boats though.
I saw the exact same thing happen to my buddy's single engine Hacker in the 90s. His wife and son were in the rear cock pit and were washed out. After she got a hold of the owner of Hacker they took it back and he got a twin engine Hacker to "fix". That issue. It never rolled but the white oak ribs in the hull grew Mushrooms within 2 years and it had to go back to NY for all the rotten wood to be replaced. That fix took a year. Then 2 more to sell at a loss. Anyway they are gorgeous boats and turn heads but there is a reason everyone started building them out of fiberglass.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
I saw the exact same thing happen to my buddy's single engine Hacker in the 90s. His wife and son were in the rear cock pit and were washed out. After she got a hold of the owner of Hacker they took it back and he got a twin engine Hacker to "fix". That issue. It never rolled but the white oak ribs in the hull grew Mushrooms within 2 years and it had to go back to NY for all the rotten wood to be replaced. That fix took a year. Then 2 more to sell at a loss. Anyway they are gorgeous boats and turn heads but there is a reason everyone started building them out of fiberglass.
Even our Skater rolled over once & sank, just needed to wash the bad out. Just like any boat Sh*t can happen, Hackers are still a cool boats.
Attached Thumbnails Hacker Craft-hacker-craft-27_speedboat.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Even our Skater rolled over once & sank, just needed to wash the bad out. Just like any boat Sh*t can happen, Hackers are still a cool boats.
They don't roll going over a ski boat wakes. That's what happened here and we were lucky there were no fatalities. The single engine Hacker has real issues which dates back to the original design. My buddy had 20 years experience and barrel rolled his wife and eight yo son on a Sunday afternoon cruise. I fished them out of the water. It was not pretty. But you are exactly right. St!t happens
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say there are more hackers on this lake then any other by maybe 5-1. That may be conservative. They are everywhere. I've never heard of a roll happening here. And our lake gets pretty snotty as far as chop. Not calling anyone a lier but that's interesting I've never seen it here.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

They don't roll going over a ski boat wakes. That's what happened here and we were lucky there were no fatalities. The single engine Hacker has real issues which dates back to the original design. My buddy had 20 years experience and barrel rolled his wife and eight yo son on a Sunday afternoon cruise. I fished them out of the water. It was not pretty. But you are exactly right. St!t happens
I was a marine officer for 20+ years with the sheriff dept on Lake St Clair [home of WOODIE powerboats] & never heard of any woodies just rolling over going over wakes. But as a offshore referee for 15 years with APBA, OSO, & USO I have seen many boating accidents, some you can identify the cause, some not. Hacker is now under new ownership, & pride themselves to making the best woodie out there.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carguy08
I would say there are more hackers on this lake then any other by maybe 5-1. That may be conservative. They are everywhere. I've never heard of a roll happening here. And our lake gets pretty snotty as far as chop. Not calling anyone a lier but that's interesting I've never seen it here.
I understand that and it's not a snotty water or twin engine boat issue. This happened in the 90's on a narrow smooth river at a slow cruising speed which is why it was so unexpected. It is a very specific problem when a single engine Hacker is following another boat in smooth water and then crosses that boats wake almost parellel with the wake. If the center if gravity gets too far on the opposite side of the prop rotation the torque of the prop will cause it to barrel roll.

Again Hacker makes a great boat and I'm sure they have modified their hull design on the single engine boats to deal with the issue.

I have no dog in this hunt I just don't want to see anyone else go thru what my buddies family did. The three kids were under eight and we terrified someone could have died.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
I was a marine officer for 20+ years with the sheriff dept on Lake St Clair [home of WOODIE powerboats] & never heard of any woodies just rolling over going over wakes. But as a offshore referee for 15 years with APBA, OSO, & USO I have seen many boating accidents, some you can identify the cause, some not. Hacker is now under new ownership, & pride themselves to making the best woodie out there.
Again I have nothing against Hacker.

This was the old Bill Morgan designed Hacker not the new one that we had issue with

I found this article

http://www.woodyboater.com/classic-b...ke-minnetonka/

WoodyBoater says:
October 2, 2010 at 6:42 am
I got this comment from a very knowlable sorce on these Hackers.. that is if it was a Morgan hacker.. Here it is..
Was this a Morgan Hacker? I have driven the Hackers built by Bill Morgan and they handled like crap in a left turn the rudder blows out you have no steering if all the people were up front and the driver chopped the throttle the stem digs in and the boat rolls over a lot of Morgans boats have rolled tossing the people out a lot of runabouts of all makes have done this.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

I wanted to check the factory out when I was vacationing in Lake George last year. Never got up to Ticonderoga to do it. Definitely checking it out this year.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Registered

I understand that and it's not a snotty water or twin engine boat issue. This happened in the 90's on a narrow smooth river at a slow cruising speed which is why it was so unexpected. It is a very specific problem when a single engine Hacker is following another boat in smooth water and then crosses that boats wake almost parellel with the wake. If the center if gravity gets too far on the opposite side of the prop rotation the torque of the prop will cause it to barrel roll.

Again Hacker makes a great boat and I'm sure they have modified their hull design on the single engine boats to deal with the issue.

I have no dog in this hunt I just don't want to see anyone else go thru what my buddies family did. The three kids were under eight and we terrified someone could have died.
Very interesting I'll keep this in mind when shopping for one for my old man in the future. I hope it didn't scare the kids off the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.