Notices

Outboard help??

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Gregg call me, still have all my notes from by boat, same bottom. Started with a 200 too. Was running low 70s
Start with this advice. There are so many different style bottoms, setbacks, props, problems, causes, etc on these small outboards.

If you got someone with experience on the same hull, that's about the best you can ask for.

It's amazing what a setback, propshaft height, and prop change can do to speed.

Have fun!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ziemer
Start with this advice. There are so many different style bottoms, setbacks, props, problems, causes, etc on these small outboards.

If you got someone with experience on the same hull, that's about the best you can ask for.

It's amazing what a setback, propshaft height, and prop change can do to speed.

Have fun!
i agree ziemer, have a mercury outboard tech going over the engine on saturday to hopefully give me a starting point, if all is well with the engine ( which its not looking like) we will pinpoint, setback,drive height,and props. measured the setback tonight and from the transom we are 27 inches from the transom to the engine bracket. and the prop shaft is roughly an inch below the pad of the boat while the front of the prop is 4'6" aft of the transom. yes it has a pretty lengthy tubular bracket lol
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,063 Likes on 280 Posts

27 inches of setback!?!?!?!?!?! Were gonna have to change that..in fact....im thinking bolt her right to the transom if its going to be raceboat only. It will still run over 60, but it will handle 10x better
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the biggest setback I've ever heard of!
I would have said between 6-12" would be the acceptable range?
An adjustable setback could be worth a go to find the sweet spot.
www.fastcompanymarine.com
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, even on my 24 I run 24 inches, and that is too much, but did it for the swim platform. They are correct, when I put the bracket on, I lost a few MPH, and the handling went down. Had a 6" jackplate before and was near perfect.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gregga
i agree ziemer, have a mercury outboard tech going over the engine on saturday to hopefully give me a starting point, if all is well with the engine ( which its not looking like) we will pinpoint, setback,drive height,and props. measured the setback tonight and from the transom we are 27 inches from the transom to the engine bracket. and the prop shaft is roughly an inch below the pad of the boat while the front of the prop is 4'6" aft of the transom. yes it has a pretty lengthy tubular bracket lol
As others have already said, your engine is way too far back and way too deep. Heck, your hull and motor are in different Zip Codes! Generally speaking, the further you go back, the further you have to go up. I'm only running 6" of set back, but my prop shaft is almost level with the pad bottom. Take Johnny's advice and ditch the bracket.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
As others have already said, your engine is way too far back and way too deep. Heck, your hull and motor are in different Zip Codes! Generally speaking, the further you go back, the further you have to go up. I'm only running 6" of set back, but my prop shaft is almost level with the pad bottom. Take Johnny's advice and ditch the bracket.
Ditching the bracket is not really an option, getting a smaller one..........Maybe. I realize the motor seem's too low, but for some reason even with minor trim it loses speed? Just got a four blade, so gonna try and lift it and run the 4 blade to see what happens.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,063 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Ditching the bracket is not really an option, getting a smaller one..........Maybe. I realize the motor seem's too low, but for some reason even with minor trim it loses speed? Just got a four blade, so gonna try and lift it and run the 4 blade to see what happens.
I think he means Greggs boat
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

Realized that after I posted, but also somewhat true about mine
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Yea, that's what I meant, but no harm, no foul. With his motor mounted the way it currently is, the gear case is acting more like an anchor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.