Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mechanical failure and boat catches fire or sinks.... >

Mechanical failure and boat catches fire or sinks....

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine was out boating early last year and was out on the way to Catalina Island. The island is 32-35 miles offshore. About half way out an engine failed and blew apart sending parts flying and smoke coming out from areas that you wouldn't think about. They were running by themselves with 5 folks on-board including 2 kids. The situation kind of caught them off guard.....and probably weren't the best prepared if they had to ditch. The SoCal water temps are usually around 57-59 degrees this time of year.

As the boating season starts to heat up, I remembered this and am making sure that I try to prepare for the worst! I really want to be prepared since we'll probably have quite a few trips to Catalina this year with kids on board.

I installed an EPIRB on our bigger boat last year, and this year I'll have an extra waterproof handheld VHF radio with GPS. Last year we also installed a new VHF fixed mount VHF with DSC and connected it to our GPS so it can broadcast a distress call with a push of a button with GPS coordinates.

Also, since we'll probably have quite a few trips to Catalina ourselves this year, I went with the ultimate.....a friggin life raft! It was one of those late night purchases online, but still glad that I got it. I sure wouldn't want anything to happen to my friends or family on a that $hit happens during a day of having fun. Check it out....I got it yesterday and it's in a duffle bag. Pull a string and instant life boat!! I put the beer there to help folks gauge the small size of this package for a 6-man raft.

Next is to put together a "ditch" bag that can be grabbed if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=3oz2CQuyUDw

Check out how it pops up!
Attached Thumbnails Mechanical failure and boat catches fire or sinks....-viking-life-raft-1.jpg   Mechanical failure and boat catches fire or sinks....-viking-life-raft-2.jpg   Mechanical failure and boat catches fire or sinks....-viking-life-raft-3.jpg  

Last edited by Level III Chaos; 03-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would think the beer would be better served in the ditch bag. If I'm going swimming, I'm probably gonna need it.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Havasu Hangin
I would think the beer would be better served in the ditch bag. If I'm going swimming, I'm probably gonna need it.
That or a bottle of Grey Goose for medicinal purposes (cleaning wounds or cuts) in the ditch bag! LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great idea. So where on line did you find this nifty item? Oh and how much did it set you back?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Good investment, I had a close call last spring, 48' Sunseeker, Dusk, nobody around, boat started slowing down, opened hatch and water was shooting up 3ft in the air and taking on water fast, wife and young daughter on board, 6 miles from shore, starboard engine died, boat heavy with water and would not get on plane with the center and port engine, made it back safely.... it would of been much worse if it had been half way to Catalina in the Pacific.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Ok great idea. So where on line did you find this nifty item? Oh and how much did it set you back?
I actually ordered a different one from another company that was smaller HERE, but I was told it was discontinued and later found it was inferior for the price difference. So after that I looked for an alternative and found what I wanted HERE at WestMarine for $1999 plus shipping.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lee
Good investment, I had a close call last spring, 48' Sunseeker, Dusk, nobody around, boat started slowing down, opened hatch and water was shooting up 3ft in the air and taking on water fast, wife and young daughter on board, 6 miles from shore, starboard engine died, boat heavy with water and would not get on plane with the center and port engine, made it back safely.... it would of been much worse if it had been half way to Catalina in the Pacific.
Exactly!!!!!!!!! Glad you get what I'm talking about!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Excellent planning, people forget the effect water temps have on survival times.

Expected Survival Time in Cold Water

Water Temperature Exhaustion or Unconsciousness in

70–80° F (21–27° C) 3–12 hours

60–70° F (16–21° C)2–7 hours

50–60° F (10–16° C) 1–2 hours

40–50° F (4–10° C) 30–60 minutes

32.5–40° F (0–4° C) 15–30 minutes

<32° F (<0° C) Under 15 minutes

I worked in the North Sea when I was younger, less than ten minutes without a survival suit. maybe 30 minutes with one.

Of course the chances of surviving a Chinook wreck offshore were a lot less>

Last edited by Wobble; 03-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe you should be on a special edition of "Doomsday Preppers". In all seriousness though, it is a great idea to be prepared .It will make your trip to Catalina so much more enjoyable taking that element of worry away.

Last edited by pm203; 03-09-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Good info, thanks for sharing Nort and Mark.

I went down years ago on a PWC while out in March on a beautiful day; on an inland lake in VA. The air was 70* degrees or so, but the water was 59*. The bottom of my PWC came apart and I can remember the cold water sucking the air right out of me. I was wearing only the top half of my 2 piece wetsuit. I was extremely fortunate that a bass boat cruised by within 15 minutes; with a couple out for an afternoon cruise. They saved my life. Looking back, I wish that ski had headed to to the bottom of the lake. I had nothing but trouble with it afterward.

We'll have some type of contingency plan like this for our Bahamas trip.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-09-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.