Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need OSO collective help on 502 Mpi >

Need OSO collective help on 502 Mpi

Notices

Need OSO collective help on 502 Mpi

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its like six bolts per engine mount and then about twelve to the bellhousing, then all you have to do is unplug the harness and throw it over the side. Then swipe that black amex that matches the new paint scheme and Bam problem solved!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wstultz
Okay. Didn't get a vacuum gauge yet but I unplugged the vacuum line and ran the boat today. Ran like a bat out of hell, 4800 rpms. So that brings the question, why does bypassing the fuel regulator by unplugging the vacuum line make it run right? It is a new regulator, do you think the regulator I got could be bad? Since it ran so well I don't believe I have a stuck valve or a valve issue. What do you think?

All you are doing is richening it up which will cover up other problems. You need to know what the vacuum is doing at idle. I am not talking about a regulator valve problem, I am talking an intake or exhaust valve problem which will cause erratic intake vacuum.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
All you are doing is richening it up which will cover up other problems. You need to know what the vacuum is doing at idle. I am not talking about a regulator valve problem, I am talking an intake or exhaust valve problem which will cause erratic intake vacuum.
I know what we did isn't a solution. If there was a valve issue though would it have run as good as it did yesterday? I didn't hear any missing or lean popping that it did before. The engines sounded strong? I appreciate the advice, keep it coming. I'm going to get a vacuum guage today.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, let's say there isn't a mechanical issue, and vacuum is good and steady, even if you have to remove the hose from the regulator. Then the engine is running lean. Since you have replaced almost everything then it could simply be that the computer is not pulsing the injectors enough, which would require remapping to solve. You didn't say what modifications were done to the engine when rebuilt, but cam or head work will cause a need for ECM remapping.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Both engines were done at the same time, the same way. As far as I know they were rebuilt completely stock, just putting in new parts. The starboard engine runs just fine and it is a mirror image of the port. I will get a vacuum guage and check the vacuum. What do you think it is if the vacuum is steady? If it is jumpy is that definitely a valve issue?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i ran into the same thing on my old boat. Did the same thing you did changed fuel pump, regulator, anti siphon/ fuel shut off valve, all injectors, and the pressure line... and still did it.. so i went back just because and changed the fuel pressure regulator again... it suck when you buy a brand new part and it is bad, the first new fuel pressure regulator i put on was bad. changed it she ran like a champ. not saying thats your deal but you never know.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by wstultz
Both engines were done at the same time, the same way. As far as I know they were rebuilt completely stock, just putting in new parts. The starboard engine runs just fine and it is a mirror image of the port. I will get a vacuum guage and check the vacuum. What do you think it is if the vacuum is steady? If it is jumpy is that definitely a valve issue?
If the vacuum settles down with or without the hose connected then one at a time switch the pressure regulator from the other motor and then the ECU. (regulator is easier) One or the other is likely your issue. It's possible the dampening in the regulator is bad and that is causing the huge pressure swings, which in turn will make the vacuum swing too.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Vacuum pressure was steady and increased into and beyond the green when throttled up. I ordered a new cool fuel kit yesterday as merc only sells it in a kit now. So when it comes in I will replace pump, again, regulator, again, and cooler. Hopefully this does the trick. If not, I am lost at what it could be. I think the valves are fine but I guess I could scope them to take a look.