Notices

Stereo Question

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Question

I have a Baja H2X and i'm gettin the stereo replaced. I've already bought a Syn 4 amp and 8 XS-650's. Would it make that much of a difference to get 2 of the Free Air wetsounds 10" subs. If it will make a big difference and hit then I will do it. Does anybody know how these free air subs sound? I believe they are the XS-10FA subs. Please help me..thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to OSO! I can't help you but just wanted to welcome you!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Registered

my free air jl subs sound pretty dam good if you ask me . id bet they would sound good too . give them some good juice
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

6.5" speakers will sound great but you will hardly feel the bass if you want to feel it get the subs it will make a huge difference! Also your 6.5's won't have to play low frequencies so more power will be available for the rest of the spectrum.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 AM
Registered

Yes, the XS-10FA's will make a difference for what the 650's lack. I've done several different combinations of those in different boats. 4 in an H2X, 2 in a 29 Outlaw, and 3 in a 38' Hustler Rockit. All sounded great, but were also powered right.

2 10FA's with a Syn2 would be perfect for that boat.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

How it will sound is relative to your expectations.

Free air will give some reinforcement and sound better than just coax.
The same speakers and amp in an enclosure will sound significantly louder.
Depends if you are looking for easy or good.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kingscheme
I have a Baja H2X and i'm gettin the stereo replaced. I've already bought a Syn 4 amp and 8 XS-650's. Would it make that much of a difference to get 2 of the Free Air wetsounds 10" subs. If it will make a big difference and hit then I will do it. Does anybody know how these free air subs sound? I believe they are the XS-10FA subs. Please help me..thanks

I would get the 10" subs. I'm getting my stuff installed now, Syn SD6 Amp with 6 xs-650's and 4 10" subs. It should sound very good.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Free air subs sound ok but if you don't put the sub in a box they just don't perform like you would like for them to... I had 4 free air JL's under my last boat and they sounded ok and I have one 12" now and it is several times more impressive. There should be a way to build a box behind the speakers but you would lose the storage under the seat. Choices, Choices!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Registered

The best thing for the OP to do is to find a local dealer or a demo boat and listen for themselves. I've heard several of the brands or speakers recommended above and some were'nt as great as they're being made out to be. For someone to say "it's teh best thing I've ever heard" doesn't mean much. Sure, they sound better than the paper cone speakers in your truck, maybe that's all you've heard.

Give everything a fair shake before making a decision.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
The best thing for the OP to do is to find a local dealer or a demo boat and listen for themselves. I've heard several of the brands or speakers recommended above and some were'nt as great as they're being made out to be. For someone to say "it's teh best thing I've ever heard" doesn't mean much. Sure, they sound better than the paper cone speakers in your truck, maybe that's all you've heard.

Give everything a fair shake before making a decision.
Subs in the right box with the right power. Only way to make good bass.

Free air will give you some bass, if you get lucky and have an area that is just right they may even give you decent bass. They will almost never do as well as a proper enclosure. though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.