Drive shaft shield important or not ? >

Drive shaft shield important or not ?

Notices

Drive shaft shield important or not ?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
Please tell more of this story . How was his face even near the driveline while running
It was a farm accident not boat sorry for not being clear. He was working on an irrigation pump when a U joint broke. The shaft hit him and shattered his jaw. I've respected any PTO or drive line anywhere since then.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Vary important..what if the trans or drive were to lock up at any givin moment?? the drive shaft would be the first to go and ask me how i know... well ill tell you a little story and its not about boating..I worked on a friends nmca nastalge pro street car at the track,,we would go out of town to certain nmca race tracks well theis one weekend we had a race in North Carolina..my friends girlfriend drove the seven second camero,,this car had 2 drive shaft safety loops and the car was a fresh build from skinny kid race cars..anyways barb made her run and as soon and she threw the shoots the driveshaft literly exploaded on a decel rite after she threw the parachute's and the rear section of the driveshaft went through the floodboard and wraped its self around her arm literly like a cork screw..needless to say after the accident picture 4'' above her elbow down to about midway of her forarm was crushed and that part hav to be rebuild,,she totally lose her elbo and 20 some surguries later she can use her arm but barely..
So fore safety reasons install the driveshaft shield..it could be someone you care about that gets hurt over a piece of metal that taked 15 min to take off to access the zurt fitting to greace..
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I thought the purpose of a transmission was to protect the outdrive in high HP applications?
If there is no disadvantage to having a driveshaft, why are boat builders spending ~$6000 for a bam super cyborg transmission? Seriously, I do not know why there is a market for transmissions if a driveshaft (with shield) would do. Someone here on OSO must know why transmissions are used...

I just paid Hubar ~$2000 to rebuild 2 Bams...

Rick
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Transmission is needed for neutral and reverse on speedmaster, and trs drives that have no internal shifting. Driveshaft just transmits the power. 2 different applications. Joe is removing a Konrad and putting a bravo style drive on his boat
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Transmission is needed for neutral and reverse on speedmaster, and trs drives that have no internal shifting. Driveshaft just transmits the power. 2 different applications. Joe is removing a Konrad and putting a bravo style drive on his boat
Oh... I have merc 6s. Always thought I was shifting outdrive not trans! Come to think of it, trans had a cable attached to shift lever on trans. Lol! I thought clutches in trans were to protect outdrive - at least one person told me that.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

now if you had an outdrive that didn't require a tranny for the shift but you wanted drive to motor protection you would go with crash boxes ..
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
now if you had an outdrive that didn't require a tranny for the shift but you wanted drive to motor protection you would go with crash boxes ..
Not true, a crash boxes is used in place of a trany because it robs less power then a trany. serves the same purpose as a trany but you can not shift a crash boxes when the motor is running. Never use in a single app. unless you want to beat the hell out of your boat at the docks, really only used in race app. But back to your original question is a Drive shaft shield important ? They call it a scatter shield for a reason lol!

Last edited by ridefast77; 03-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered

We slung a driveshaft at 160 once, let me tell you that was a whole lot of beating around (in the enclosure) untill that boat slowed down.
Yes, put a guard
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered

I vote yes - intall one.

This is my turbine powered Warlock sitting on the bottom after the forward universal joint let go at 120 without any drive shaft restraints. The drive shaft, still connected to the prop beat the hell out of the center pod. The really dumb part is the shaft guards were sitting on the shelf. I had just not found time to install them.

I was lucky a buddy was close and we got it to shore before it went down.

LT
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Due to the overwhelming amount of people that strongly suggest it and the failure stories I went to my metal supplier and bought a sweet piece of aluminum round tube that is 1/2" thick .
I'm gonna build a clam shell shield , powder coat it black and ball mill Superboat Racing in it if I can see it when it's back in the boat ...Did the mockup last night and the front universal is in the bell housing and the back one is in the extension box so you can't see to much of the drive shaft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.