The adventure of my tub is now over >

The adventure of my tub is now over

Notices

The adventure of my tub is now over

Old 07-22-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that is correct
I do not think that it was degreed at all, just slipped in there with the marks facing each other and Ill just turn distributor to 8* after she fires up.
One did then ingested water
other one never fired
Both of them sound like they want to go but it is like the batteries are dead and they just are not turning fast enough.
what sucks is that there is NO WAY that you can replace the starters in this boat with engine still in there.
Port engine, never reach it
starboard engine you can reach it BUT no room for it to fall down under the engine cause of the V in the hull
both would have to be pulled.
Also I believe that what started to get these starters to get weak was from having water in the cylinders to begin with. Can not compress a liquid.
so if I was going to call the engine builder, what am I supposed to say to him, I cant get these things running?
or what?
he will listen and say starters are too weak.
(as a former mechanic that is exactly what I would say)
then the smell of the starter frying up in an oven hits you and you know the hooptie is just cooked man!
I cant catch a break.
Jason
Old 07-22-2002, 10:15 AM
Registered

shouldn't take **** to start one of these engines....it should seem like you could hand crank it!....the ONLY delay time in firing that new engine should be fuel in the system!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

I agree with the other post that said your timing is way out. it took me quite a bit of cranking to get the motor to start the first time because of the timing and the dry fuel system. I finally dumped raw fuel down the carb throat (small amount at a time) to get it to catch. Verify the cam is correct then verify that the distributor is correct as well and then give it a shot....
Ken
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Jay, Wow what can I say! You have had your share of bad luck, But don't give up, hang in there, It can only get Better.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Registered

Im getting fuel, Im getting spark, im of course getting air.
Both engines want to fire
You can tell
just not spinning fast enough.
if you stand behind it (boat has swim platform so you cant hear too well from drivers seat) it WANTS to fire. You see the puffs of smoke out the pipes. it sounds healthy more or less while cranking just not going fast enough. Then when your actually cranking it from the seat, it constantly puffs out the arrestor up top. I adjust the timing from 0* to 4-5 * and she wont go.
I just dont know what to do anymore.
I have built TONS of engines and never had a problem
I installed a cam in my trans am, had it apart, new cam in and back together with all new valve springs, blah blah
ran in 8 hrs
been running ever since
have installed short blocks from when I worked at a dealership (Faulkner pontiac in PA) from 4 cyl grand ams to 305 and 350 firechickens and GMC pickups
I could ALWAYS get them going
Worked at a marina doing stuff and replaced engines alot, got them all going too. This is the first time that I have ever been beat and I dont know why. I checked out my oil filters and drained them into a clear bottle and no metal fragments at all
I figured I would have seen something but nothing.
Joe I just dont have the answer for this freakin thing.
2 brand new batteries, one CCA and one CCA/Deep cycle
I charged them and cooked the batteries for 16 hours (about 12 was high trickle, rest was high voltage cooking time)
batteries show up 12+ volts and have enough juice at this point that my electric bill this month is going to be more than the entire city of Chicago.
Dude I dont know why I just dont.
I do have a warranty on these engines, that is not the issue, the issue is that he can not be held responsible for the starters. that is my problem not his.
and you know what? You're right this does SUCK ASS!!!!!
Jason
Old 07-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

dude!!...you only named 2 things for fire,rapid oxidation, or whatever else you want to call it!!!! fuel, ox, and heat!! heat!! what is your cranking compression,,,beter yet don't tax your starter anymore....what are your leak down #'s??? you need more facts! COLLECT DATA....foget EVERYONE telling you to try this or that...or it maybe???...

Last edited by audacity; 07-22-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

I must say being by Jay's side for this whole project that I agree
with him. here is the reason why the starters are the problem,
whoever is reading this when you leave work or if you're home
go out to your car and disconnect the coil wire and crank it over a couple times. i'd be willing to say the motor is spinning pretty damn fast. Jay's motors do not spin fast while trying to be started
and the fact that one motor already ran leads me to believe that all the ignition and cam timing is up to spec. keep in mind that the one motor that hasn't run yet is the one with the torched starter. it was spinning so slow you could put your hand on it and not think twice about it. sure we could do compression tests and all that good stuff but i don't know how to do it when you can't even crank the motor over. and now the other motor won't stop cranking. i know its hard for everyone to believe that it could be the starters but if you saw these things struggling to spin i think you would all agree. even with fully charged batteries the starters sound like the 0 degree middle of winter cold start
i feel for my bro and honestly pushing him back to the boat will make matters worse. its been one thing after the other and yesterday was it...the final straw.
just my .02

Russ
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

I'm sure you've already done it but if not, do the basics. Pull the distributor put motor on TDC and re-stab and move distributor a little to 8 degrees BTDC or wherever it needs to be. Your distributor could be a 1/2 tooth off.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:06 AM
Gumbydammit

A friend had the local starter shop build him a starter for his streetrod.

He took an old gear reduction diesel starter and changed the nosecone somehow. Saved him hundreds of dollars. I would ask the guy in the shop about this for your situation. The good part of it was that he did not have to remove the whole thing to change it...the gear stayed there, just the little motor came off.

Hope it helps.
Keep your chin up.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

"compression tests and all that good stuff but i don't know how to do it when you can't even crank the motor over. "...dude for one thing you do a CC with all the plugs out...like i said skip the CC and do a leak down!!! u ONLY have to bar the engine over to do that! the starter don't even have to work...now i'm so curious as to how the lash was set on these engines??

here's why.....trouble shooting 101...don't asume! just the facts mam!

get this engine builder FW involved!!!

Quick Reply: The adventure of my tub is now over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.