Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How Come Nobody has bought this Boat? >

How Come Nobody has bought this Boat?

Notices

How Come Nobody has bought this Boat?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

X rated .. I totally see what you`re saying , I can`t believe anyone would actually argue that point.
Heres the other fools discussing it now:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you learn the tank they do just fine. (Fixed)

But being able to suck in the ass to the dock with a drive pointed at the dock and in reverse..... There are benefits that prove them selves as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tgi
They sill can't give the pig away at 349k...

Big Cats are the king of depreciation.... Nobody wants to the the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner

1075's are now the red headed step child in the marine market....

Only buy a cat if you intend to keep it till the props fall off, otherwise you will take one helluva bath in it when it's time to get rid of it....
So Mr. WiseOne, please share with us what type of boat it is that you own...... Just so we all will know whaat we should have bought!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
OK - fine - you guys win and it's official - there is absolutely no need for a twin articulable drive, ever, under any circumstances. They are obviously the same price as fixed shafts and do no good whatsoever. Fixed shafts and rudders win in every case. I was completely wrong in implying that the boat in question might benefit from articulable drives. I shall go and stand in the corner now.
Oh, snort ... NO WHINING!

Driving shafts is a skill, and can be learned. (and is good geometry practice, too.)

A the end of the day, dancing around a walled-in marina fuel dock in a 55' grain barge is no picnic, regardless of propulsion.

Aren't there a lot of big cats with trimmable shafts and a tiller way-back?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goatskin
Oh, snort ... NO WHINING!

Driving shafts is a skill, and can be learned. (and is good geometry practice, too.)

A the end of the day, dancing around a walled-in marina fuel dock in a 55' grain barge is no picnic, regardless of propulsion.

Aren't there a lot of big cats with trimmable shafts and a tiller way-back?
No whining - articulable drives are just a fad and two fixed shafts 5 or 6 feet apart with a 7 inch wide rudder between them is the way to go.

I am just thinking that with articulable drives you can always just point them straight back and treat them like fixed shafts so you get those excellent docking characteristics. What's cool is if you need to suck the stern in or push/pull it back out, you MIGHT want to turn those drives to the left or right.

Luddites.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, I am not dumping on rudder boats, but is there REALLY any argument between fixed shaft drive boats and articulable drive boats when it comes to slow speed maneuvering? Using just your drives to dock is a valuable (read - indispensible) skill. But anyone that doesn't think articulable drives on a (relatively) light weight 55 foot boat might might be an asset is deluding themselves.

I just doubt this boat gains enough (read - very little) from the fixed drives and rudder that the setup makes up for in speed. It's just my opinion (that may lack merit), but when I build it, I think I'd rather spend an extra $75k on my $1.5 million dollar boat for drives, than keep fixing the paint when it rubs the dock because it was a little windier than normal when I was trying to park. And lord help me if I happen to park next to someone else's million dollar boat and scrape it.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Beautiful boat.. That 55 MTI is huge... Awesome machine!