Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any members from Charleston, SC area? >

Any members from Charleston, SC area?

Notices

Any members from Charleston, SC area?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Any members from Charleston, SC area?

Wonder what the area is like for boating
Thanks,
Jr,
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Do a search. It has been discussed here before and check out Boatfreaks. Several members go to Charleston thru locks that eventually dump into Charleston harbor. I have only boated in Charleston a couple of times and didn't like dealing with the salt. Theres alot to see and do in Charleston on foot. It's rich in history. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

There is some good boating around there but nothing at all what you're used to. We have spent quite a Bit of time boating between charleston and savannah. There were no where near the amount of places to go that we have up here. Also the boating culture is very different. We have only ever seen one other offshore down there; seems like if it doesn't have rod holders it's not a boat! We spend a few nights on the mega dock at city marina and really enjoyed it. It was a first class facility and the staff really took care of us.

I used to enjoy taking the cig into harbor town on hilton head, the way the dry CMI's sounded echoing off the condos was great ... The nice folks in the marina even gave me a round of applause when I shut it off, so I fired it back up for another few minutes since they enoyed it so much

I also had a miscalculation on thanksgiving and ran out of gas less than 100 feet from the harbor town light in the formula. My step dad approached a gentlemen sitting on his boat with a dingy tied up next to it to see if he woul loan bim the dingy or would run a few gallons of gas out to us. Literally 200' from him. 'Cant help you' be replied and he went inside. Instead had to wait on towboatUS from 30 miles away while people ignored us all evening going in and out of the harbor.

We continue to boat down there every year since our family had a place on hilton head, but it just want really my kind of place. Some really fun water though!

Last edited by RT930turbo; 03-21-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Thanks,
Jr,
Red's ice house on Shem creek is fun. Their dock is tiny and people often tie off to other boats. Like others have said, there are hardly any go fasts there. I only saw a few when I was boating in the charleston area with my coworker. I used my dads boat on the ICW around murrels inlet and myrtle beach sc a lot, barely any go fasts there either. Center consoles galore.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to live there and we have a cat and a center console. Didn't care for the boating there. We are from FL so it just wasn't what you were used to. Docks in Shem Creek load up fast and not a lot of people know how to tie up well if you know what I mean. It was fun to run out the harbor but there tends to be a lot of sailboaters so figure on getting the finger. Fishing is good but you have to run 60-70 out to get to good water. There are some allisons and other smaller boats of the sort that used to hang out just west of the Limehouse bridge. As was said prior City Marina is a nice facility and convenient to downtown. We just didn't care for it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Jack, I used to live there. Boated on others boats while there, mostly CCs. I can share some stories, basically everything that's been said here is true. It's a beautiful place and great if you love the water. Thinking of moving there???
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for all the input..! I would be mainly running the 21' Scout. The Cig is my pops. That boat only goes to one place, Kelleys Island..

BulletBob,
What lake do they lock from? Lake Moultrie & Marion? I did a search on boat freeks and saw some good pics. I forgot I was a member on that forum. Really cool trip they did through the locks.

Artie,
Great story about running out of gas......... I would still be totally pissed!!

Keith,
I googled that place and it looks like a pretty cool place to check out.

Powrbtr,
If your used to boating in Florida, I could see what you mean... Being in Wisconsin now on little lakes filled with tubers has to be worse... Open water is always enjoyable.

Frick,
PM sent.

From what I seen it looks like a decent area. My dream would be to hit the ditch and travel some where by water. I guess South is always better!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

Still thinking about. Any input on the how much it rains? Is the summer a wash out?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Thanks,
Jr,
looked pretty awesome, i laid up one night in charleston harbor in my fathers huckins 70ft sport fish. we stayed at the municipal marina. you could see fort sumpter (sp) in the harbor.

there was a little dive bar there with a ton of hot babes and not a single fat and ugly one among them. it really stood out to me that i did not see a single fat person in that bar, and there were over a hundred people in it.. kind a tripped me out... the water ways are beautiful, it really awesome to ride by and see only the old mansions from the water... a great hunting ground for hotties ta boot

Last edited by ratman; 10-09-2013 at 11:24 PM.