Your Boat is about to hook... >

Your Boat is about to hook...

Notices

Your Boat is about to hook...

Old 07-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It seems a lot of the boats people are getting hurt and killed in are big cats that are hooking and barrel rolling. Got a 30 Cobra Cat recently and I'm still learning the boat. Anybody got ideas on how not to barrel roll it. Just lookin for some tips from the more experienced that might come into use when I start sayin OH CHIT!
I had 21 Daytona that I almost blew over once, after that scary situation I gave the boat a lot more respect. I also learned to keep the bow trimmed down and fly the boat in the air as level as possible. By doing this the threat of tripping the boat was greatly reduced too. Got sick of gettin pounded to peices by the Hudson River chop, so I went for the bigger boat. Bigger boat means a bigger learning curve in my eyes. So far the boat seems very stable because of its size but I dont wanna barrel roll. I'm Still Learnin
Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Yeah Johnny, are the props spinning in or out?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

Default T2x

Joe was a very close friend before he was killed. I haven't seen the Frenchman in a while, but heard his son was driving GPU. I used to run a 280 Farmer, added Don Turner as driver, and won a few. Remember Howie Benns? He drive everything, including the "Bud". He is still s good friend. We had so many race boats then, we were called "The Grand Island Navy". You may remember the races in Tonawanda at Isle View Park. Had some big ones!
Then I was chairing races here and introduced Offshore to the area in 1986 with the first race on the Niagara River, with the aid of Jay Smith. Then we moved up to Lake Erie in Buffalo near Crawdaddy's and ran Divsionals and Kilos. Chaired those and became an Offshore Ref.
Was President of Buffalo Offshore also.
Got away from the politics, and am now just running the Fun Run for Toys For Tots here. Too damn busy at the Marina in the summer to play much.
Nice to have coms with someone with your knowledge (and memory)!

Humphrey
Attached Thumbnails Your Boat is about to hook...-sassy-jane.gif  

Last edited by Strike; 07-24-2002 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Default T2x

BTW, does Gordy Reed in the Eriqous Cheif (Aka Z-Zip) ring a bell? Then he bought the 7L Lauderback "Miss Genny".
The old "Baby Doll" and many more. Damn it was fun then, no politics!
Old 07-24-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guy's here's my two cent's.

yes you can controll the hook if you are paying attention. first of all never chop the throttles. that will cause a step boat to go over. if you are in the air and see that your boat is coming down on an angle other than straight and you know ware your drives are positioned, then turn with the boat. ( if your bow is going to the right then turn to the right. just like a car turning into the spin to gain control.) the main thing is do not panic. stay on the throttle and when you land slowley ease off straithen her out and keep going.

if you guy's are going to be doing high speed's in a step boat here is a list of does and don't that you must live by or the boat will bite you.

1) if it's your first time in the boat take it out byourself in a river or bay and keep it under sixty for 25 hours. get to know the boat. every boat is diffrent. even if it's the same make you just had. fool around with the trim and see how the boat reacts. turn it to the left, turn it to the right. see what it does in flat water . see what it does in rough water. it takes time but eventually you will be able to feel the boat and it will talk to you and tell you what it needs. after that take a whole bunch of people on the boat at a safe speed for a couple hours and see what it does. you must respect the boat and water and realize they are more powerfull then you and you are there for a ride. the sea givith and the sea taketh.
2) never pull the throtle back to fast. your not alowing the air under the step to go anywhere therefore it will cause the boat to get lose and many times roll over. ( most roll overs occur under sixty miles an hour due to cutting the throtles back to quik.) even if your gonna hit sombody or something do your best to minimize the damage and steer away but don't chop the throtle it will create an even worse situation.
3) when going into a turn do not trim the drives in. leave in the position they were before the turn.4) always where your kill switch.
5) if you know your going to going over 60 mile per hour where some type of life jacket.

basically i will reiterate what i said. take the boat out byyourself so you have nobody bothering you and learn your boat. even proffesional boat racers thought they could run a boat they never drove before and have paid the ultimate price.

well that's all i can think of now if you have anymore questions just ask.

Treadwell
Old 07-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Just Ask Treadwell...hmmm,a new advice column?

excellent advice.all too often panic takes control of the situation and BAD thing happen.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:12 PM
thunder perf

I've hooked, stuffed, rolled, and pitched out at 80 plus. If you go off sideways its because you wern't payin close enough attention or you got caught by a really weird one. @#&$^@ happens!
I agree with Pantera, Touch up a bit on reentry and hope you have good bolsters. If your real lucky you'll come out of it with some twisted/sprained muscles.
Remember, unless your racing for BIG points and Flags, it isn't worth hurting you passengers. They have no idea what's about to happen to them.
Say some prayers and start reading the water a bit closer, WATCH OUT in a Quartering Sea.
Good Luck

Old 07-25-2002, 08:14 AM
turbo2256

Good advice Treadwell.
I have seen to many try to run boats, cars, bikes, etc without spending enough time adjusting to and developing the reactions needed to control that vehicle.

Old 07-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Good advice Tread, or as Mr. Offshore stated in the case of our boats, just let the design do its work and drive out of it.
Chris Reindl
Old 07-25-2002, 10:26 AM
GAMEMAN

THE BEST WAY TO SOLVE ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS IS TO KEEP THE BOAT IN THE WATER WHERE IT BELONGS TABS, TABS, TABS, ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK YOU DON'T NEED THEM OR THAT THEY ARE JUST TO LEVEL OUT THE BOAT BUT THE FACT IS THEY ARE LIFE OR AT LEAST BONE SAVERS EVEN A 50FT BOAT IF TRIMMED AND TABBED POORLY WILL FLY AND NOBODY CAN READ WATER PERFECTLY I LEARNED THIS LESSON THE HARDWAY RUNNING 75MPH IN A POKER RUN WITH 3 OF MY FRIENDS WE LANDED SO HARD IT THREW EVERYBODY ALL OVER THE BOAT INCLUDING ME I WAS IN THE FLOOR WITH THE THROTTLES WIDE OPEN LUCKILY NOBODY WAS HURT BUT THE BOAT BROKE A STRINGER ALSO ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LANYARDS AS WAS NOT

Quick Reply: Your Boat is about to hook...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.