Notices

Torch Lake Questions

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful lake to boat on for sure but the ramps leave a bit to be desired. From what I heard last year the fun police are clamping down on noise so be careful if you aren't legal. Take the suggestion to go out on the big lake as that is definitely a good time especially with a bigger boat. Our favorite launch is in elk rapids as it is deep and easy access. You can run east and west bay or run up to charlevoix or out to beaver island for lunch. Sleeping bear dunes is another favorite place of ours by boat. All kinds of nice places to go and things to see and do. Rob
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

What is the speed & decibel limit???
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
What is the speed & decibel limit???
I believe all MI inland lakes unless otherwise noted is 55mph! not sure on the noise??
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
I believe all MI inland lakes unless otherwise noted is 55mph! not sure on the noise??

Or less, Gull lake lower there's to 45 was 55. I cant hardly get on plain there...... I know Grand Haven had a db limit I see makeshift PVC exhausts on boats while on idle through the river & break walls to & from spring lake, them they pop them off & go!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Or less, Gull lake lower there's to 45 was 55. I cant hardly get on plain there...... I know Grand Haven had a db limit I see makeshift PVC exhausts on boats while on idle through the river & break walls to & from spring lake, them they pop them off & go!!
Lake Fenton south of Flint is 45!! Lake Char is 55 but 4 a couple years at Boyne Thunder they let us do 80 across the lake, that was fun do'n the pace boat!! no more though!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

I used to put my 35 Fountain in at Luhrs Landing Marina which is in the torch river. It had enough length and depth to get it off safely, but the current made things tricky. As other have said, the tough part is the last corner by the Torch river marina. I haven't tried it and doubt I will with my OL. Don't think I will make the corner without dragging and I DEFINITELY won't pass the noise restrictions with the cops. We just take our little Malibu when we go there now. It's certainly worth the trip, but just be advised of the navigation challenges with a longer/deeper boat. The sandbar is a riot! As for true "boating" fun- the Bay's and Lake Charlevoix are much more fun for go-fast boats. Torch is better suited to small boats due to the access issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Not sure what the speed is but I do know the sound is an issue on Torch. When I finished explaining what a documented boat was they let me go with a "warning"?, for what I'm still not sure, and advised me that there are noise restrictions on the lake too and I'm not allowed to turn my captains call off. Like I said, not worth the hassle.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been going there 6-8 times a year for over 12 years and had two encounters with the cops. Both times they were very pleasant. However, landowners are complaining about noise so they started cracking down last year with warnings. No worries on speeds as long as you run hard away from the sandbars.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 03-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you speed with common sense there will be no issues, normal rules stay away from the high concentration of people and boats. AKA: sandbars. The lake is 19 miles long so plenty of room to play.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

If your not legal on db requirements steer clear of torch river between luhrs landing and the inlet. If you're looking to haul ass stay away from the sandbar and the clam river outlet. If your looking for good looking women park it on the sandbar, turn up the music and put your beer cooler in plain sight!!! Man i love TORCH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.