Notices

28 Skater

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Skater

I am looking for some feedback from Skater owners and people who know the 28.

I specifically want to know about the ownership experience.

How functional is the boat as a run around go fast for a guy and his wife and potentially a kid? Can you run say to the beach with a toddler in the boat as long as you dont drive fast or like a moron?

How are they to drive?

How is the maintenence? What are typical failures and costs?

How are they on fuel?

Can they run rough water? Specifically Great Lakes and slightly smaller lakes.

How do they tow?

What are the strengths and weaknesses in general?

How functional is the back seat?

Aside from Offshore Only does anyone know of boats for sale currently or that could be for sale?

Thank you in advance.

AH.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ar15meister

How functional is the boat as a run around go fast for a guy and his wife and potentially a kid? Can you run say to the beach with a toddler in the boat as long as you dont drive fast or like a moron?

How are they to drive?

How are they on fuel?

How do they tow?

Aside from Offshore Only does anyone know of boats for sale currently or that could be for sale?

Thank you in advance.

AH.
don't no much about the skater but I would think the pantera will handle rough water better but I could be wrong .
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I love my 28!!! As long as you not driving like a moron, a kid and wife are fine. Im my opinion, a "toddler" in any boat can be dangerous. I would assume as long as the child is sitting on moms lap or in the front seat, it would not be a problem.
Driving wise they are great...big enough to handle some reasonbly rough but small enough to handle myself and around the docks.
Maintenence is up to the owner. I usually change my gear case fliuds 2-3 times a year and check nuts, bolts change fuel filters, water seperator filters and thats about it.
Fuel....ha ha, I have twin 300X mercs and they are reasonable on fuel, depending on how you drive it.
I have run in Lake Michigan only once and the boat loved it, I loved it, but the wife was not too excited. I usually run the Chain o Lakes in northern Il and have no problems at all.
Towing is an absolute non issue for me...it tows like any other boat as far as I'm concerned.
Strengths-Looks, speed, comfort, handling....and of course...Its a Skater!
Weaknesses-For me...none really...
Back seat is as funtional as any seat I guess...the only complaint I have heard is you can't see in front of you, only the sides.
I had thought about selling mine a few times, but I really don't know what I would replace it with. I would not go smaller, but going bigger (for me) just does not make sense. To me, its the perfect size for my needs. I hope that helps. Later, Dave
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ar15meister

How are they to drive?

How are they on fuel?

How do they tow?

Thank you in advance.

AH.
I probably have about 200 hours in a 28, both racing and pleasure, 2.5 offshores and 300 x motors

1. Yes you can KEY PHRASE IN YOUR WORDS " dont drive like a moron"

2. They are a blast to drive, shy of spending 200k on something with blowers and sixes you cannot have more fun...

3. Maintenance is very low, engines play a big factor, The fuel system is crucial, check, clean and change fuel filters twice as often as u think you should, make sure the system is adequate for your motors, I recommend Diamond Marine to draw you a schematic to make sure the fuel system is adequate...FUEL SYSTEM IS YOUR LIFE BLOOD..... also if you have an older 2.5 with out a alternator it is a problem, you will want to have it plugged in to a charger when your not running, when the batteries get to low the computers dont like it..

4. very good on fuel compared to in boards, the new optimax motors are even better, i have been told numbers of 2+ mpg @ 85 mph ( no hands on experience with those motors)

5. yes they can run in rough water, you can run 70 in some pretty snotty stuff ( no fun at all for the back seat passengers)

6. They tow very easy, i towed mine with a 98 Tahoe from Missouri to Galveston,Biloxi, and Florida. I think the higher hp newer models would be better ( recommend helper bags on anything that's not a 3/4 ton or bigger)

7. Strengths.. fast, fuel efficient, if you have a catastrophic failure the replacement cost is a fraction of a big block, better rough water capabilities that any v bottom in its size range.

8. Weakness... this is not really a back seat boat, the older ones wit the seats all the way in the back are pretty useless, older 2.5's smoke, limited storage, no alternator on older 2.5's so no stereo and like i mentioned before you will want to have an on board charger and keep it plugged when not in use.

9. Back seat is fine in smooth water, if you think you are going to need to throttle the boat because of water conditions, then the back seat should be empty... it is no fun for the passengers.

I have some seat time in the quarter canopy 300x boat in the classifieds and have known the boat and owners since new, there is also a all factory original 94 i sold a couple years ago that may be available in the 50k range but it has original 2.5 efi offshore race motors, I would recommend looking for new 2.5's or 300. or the optimax motors
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Boat is awesome. Love my boat. Live in S. FL and run in the ocean all the time. Have tons of hours in it. As far operating costs it is simple. Go with new 300xs's and have a warranty. No expense for 2yrs and you cannot touch the fuel mileage. I average well over 2.5mpg at 60mph. I would consider selling mine for the right price but am not interested in giving it away. You will not find a nicer 28 anywhere.
Ask Ryan Beckley
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine is ausome
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

For the people who think a 28 vee will keep up in rough water....heres one we rigged.
We also rigged one that set an endurance record...Albany to NYC and back in 3hr7min.
Its an AWESOME boat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35m6MiCE3q0

Get lots of seat time, take it slow. Dont get happy with the trim button. Keep em tucked in a bit and shell fly nice n level.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A good friend of mine raced a 28 and a 32 for years. He had a 28 pleasure a few years ago with 2.5's.
I drove it once in 1-2' slop in the small lake. I've driven other cats that were bigger and faster than his 28....However the ride and handling of that little 28 was nothing short of astonishing.
It was very smooth and tracked like a car. We ran it around all day at 85+ and went as fast as 107. I think it burned about 30 gallons for the day. My experience is limited with that hull but I was very impressed with the time I was in it.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Miller001 he has one and it might be for sale, he knows Skater's inside and out.

Last edited by Pwraddr; 03-29-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

best all around boat ever built, i sold mine for a 32 skater and i love it but im back shopping for another 28 to build for an everyday boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.