New Owner to Campaign Former JBS Racing Mystic on Poker Run Circuit >

New Owner to Campaign Former JBS Racing Mystic on Poker Run Circuit

Notices

New Owner to Campaign Former JBS Racing Mystic on Poker Run Circuit

Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tborisch
I can't speak about anybody else.. Turbines are new too me, I'm not sure what maintenance will be like, but I'm gonna do what I'm told and see how they last

Tom
What does the power delivery feel like with the turbines.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
What does the power delivery feel like with the turbines.
It's very cool, they pull pretty hard all the time, but at about 130 mph they really start to make power, then it's amazing!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sense you asked..

I had a motor go at 9 hours, and needed a total rebuild. It took a few months to get it pulled, rebuilt and back in the boat. And that still ate thru some of the warranty, the vessel views lock up all the time, you are required to buy a m8 drive with it, and that drive has no warranty unless you run a merc 1500 HP prop which would be the last wheel I would pick myself. Most lakes don't have 93 octane at the marina here in Michigan, so you have to pull the boat to fuel it anyway. The icing on the 1350 cake... $50,000.00 a piece rebuild cost.

My sterlings make huge power, are reliable, and cost WAY less to maintain. They are less then half the cost of mercs to do full rebuilds on. Mercury suggests lashing the valves at 25 hours on the 1350.. Why? It's a quad overhead cam?? Might as well have a pushrod motor!

Anyway. Brad Smith builds a really bad ass twin turbo engine. Looks better, more reliable, and more power than the merc..

I just don't see the benefit of spending the long dollar to put yourself into a corner like that.. I did and I wouldn't do it again.

It was disappointing that merc was running a 1650 HP version in the shootout last year, and told the whole world it was a 1350.. It was very refreshing to watch the eliminator crush the MTI.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start anything. This is all personal opinion based on person experience.. and it shouldn't offend anybody, if you love em, that's great!

Tom
Thanks for the straight forward reply. Sterlings are great engines, the best part is they are build right here in our state. I assumed the rebuild on a 1350 was pricey but never thought would have been that high. I also like your money smart approach in comparing both engines.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sense you asked..

I had a motor go at 9 hours, and needed a total rebuild. It took a few months to get it pulled, rebuilt and back in the boat. And that still ate thru some of the warranty, the vessel views lock up all the time, you are required to buy a m8 drive with it, and that drive has no warranty unless you run a merc 1500 HP prop which would be the last wheel I would pick myself. Most lakes don't have 93 octane at the marina here in Michigan, so you have to pull the boat to fuel it anyway. The icing on the 1350 cake... $50,000.00 a piece rebuild cost.

My sterlings make huge power, are reliable, and cost WAY less to maintain. They are less then half the cost of mercs to do full rebuilds on. Mercury suggests lashing the valves at 25 hours on the 1350.. Why? It's a quad overhead cam?? Might as well have a pushrod motor!

Anyway. Brad Smith builds a really bad ass twin turbo engine. Looks better, more reliable, and more power than the merc..

I just don't see the benefit of spending the long dollar to put yourself into a corner like that.. I did and I wouldn't do it again.

It was disappointing that merc was running a 1650 HP version in the shootout last year, and told the whole world it was a 1350.. It was very refreshing to watch the eliminator crush the MTI.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start anything. This is all personal opinion based on person experience.. and it shouldn't offend anybody, if you love em, that's great!

Tom
That just saved me thousands of dollars. I just had my Sterlings rebuilt for under $30,000 total (not each) and they are running beautifully. I had convinced myself that I needed Mercury power and was headed that way once I approached rebuild time again.

After putting about 8 hours on the new motors, I was second guessing my Mercury infatuation. The other problem I was having will all of it is the fact that the new motors (looking at 1075s...can't afford 1100s) probably weren't going to be more reliable, were going to cost more to rebuild, and would not make my 11 year old boat worth a penny more.

I feel rich today with all the money you just saved me

Hope you can get to LOTO this year!!

Brett
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam

I feel rich today with all the money you just saved me
Hahhahaha, and I got a place you can spend it.

JK, I'm booking for LOTO this week for shootout. See you there.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gregga
Less than a 1350 Merc or 1550 Sterling maintenance wise, longevity is bar none higher than any high HP blower or turbo engine on the market. T-53 and 55's and turbo shafts were made specifically for high use helicopter versions meant to handle way more abuse (sand,grime,dust,dirt inhalation) than what we see on the water for the very few times these big boats hit the water and truly run at 80-100% N speeds. if properly maintained those meat grinders will last years with minimal maintenance. Congrats on the new purchase and have fun my friend. Gregg
yea as long as you keep them away from salt water!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
No problem here! I live in Michigan!

Last edited by Tborisch; 04-13-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling..
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered
Gold Member

As with anything!! These engines will survive in the harshest of enviroments and can ingest more than people give them credit, I'v seen a lot of things at test cells and on sites get sucked through these engines and they keep on running that most people would not believe, (expensive paper shredder i know lol) however water intrusion and 20,000 rpm is a different story as long as you keep her deck up they will last years with proper maintenance far more than a big blower motor or turbo motor would.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Salt water is not the death of Turbines at all.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very cool, they pull pretty hard all the time, but at about 130 mph they really start to make power, then it's amazing!
Geezus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.