Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need naval engineer or architect. have question. >

need naval engineer or architect. have question.

Notices

need naval engineer or architect. have question.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need naval engineer or architect. have question.

Building steel boats or ships.....have some questions about steel ibeams. Would love to talk to you about it and maybe hire for our company. Just starting out . Please have mercy.

Call me or send me your number to call you. Thanks, joe
[email protected]
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just about to graduate as a Nav. Arch...I saw your posts and my suggestion is to hire someone to help you with the entire project, your posts in your other thread gave me the impression that you have very little basic knowledge of what your project is going to take to complete, and the amount of engieering that would be required.

You may want to try contacting the University of New Orleans, or University of Michigan's naval architecture departments to see if you may be able to find a student to take on the project...this would be a good way to get some of the basic design done cheap.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darron is a good friend of mine, I'll send him your info.

http://www.shorebreakmarine.com/index.htm
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by MIskier
I am just about to graduate as a Nav. Arch...I saw your posts and my suggestion is to hire someone to help you with the entire project, your posts in your other thread gave me the impression that you have very little basic knowledge of what your project is going to take to complete, and the amount of engieering that would be required.

You may want to try contacting the University of New Orleans, or University of Michigan's naval architecture departments to see if you may be able to find a student to take on the project...this would be a good way to get some of the basic design done cheap.
Yup, for a project of this scale they needs a naval architectural team to do a preliminary design followed by reviews for systems and systems integration once requirements and components are identified. Then prototype and test.
ed
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. Fabrication, design , layout , mechnicals, wiring,plumbing, paint, engines, etc. Etc, is no problem. Ive been doing this about 35 years.( on land) I have one specific question about a particular peice of steel (i-beam) and strength and deflection of it when mounted across three floating platforms. ( tri-hull) . I have no problem if it was stationary on land, but somehow adding water always seams to put a twist on things.
Also am looking for the right person to have on hand or directly on staff because i know we will need certifcation on all this stuff. I can design, draw and and actually build any part of it. But someone certified will need to go over it and sign off on it.
Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Thanks guys. Fabrication, design , layout , mechnicals, wiring,plumbing, paint, engines, etc. Etc, is no problem. Ive been doing this about 35 years.( on land) I have one specific question about a particular peice of steel (i-beam) and strength and deflection of it when mounted across three floating platforms. ( tri-hull) . I have no problem if it was stationary on land, but somehow adding water always seams to put a twist on things.
Also am looking for the right person to have on hand or directly on staff because i know we will need certifcation on all this stuff. I can design, draw and and actually build any part of it. But someone certified will need to go over it and sign off on it.
Joe
I think that you're already setting yourself up for problems if you want to say you know how to do everything, but have never worked with a large marine project the mechanical systems will be very different.

You will also not find a PE that is willing to sign off on calcs that have been done by someone without a degree, since by signing off on those parts of the project they then own the risk if something goes wrong.

My best piece of advice is to sit down and lay out exactly what you think you need from a naval architect, so that you can go into your initial meeting with a good idea of what you know and dont know.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
Joe
Joe , I would use a box beam
and until you get help onboard there are beam calculator's On Line , BTW Please keep us updated and Good Luck .
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MIskier
I think that you're already setting yourself up for problems if you want to say you know how to do everything, but have never worked with a large marine project the mechanical systems will be very different.

You will also not find a PE that is willing to sign off on calcs that have been done by someone without a degree, since by signing off on those parts of the project they then own the risk if something goes wrong.

My best piece of advice is to sit down and lay out exactly what you think you need from a naval architect, so that you can go into your initial meeting with a good idea of what you know and dont know.
Dont get me wrong. I am not trying to sound like a know it all, iam not. Every man has to know his limitations. The only reason i said i could design and have an engineer go over it, is because we have been waiting for months for our people to finish some designs for us now.... we got them back , and guess what, they are nothing like what we asked for..... so i must " design" or draw something, then give it to someone competent to " engineer" ,thats what i am getting at. You cant just say i want red. You have to give them an example. And i dont have time to wait for 5 different people to show me their idea of red, when i can just show them and they can tell me how to makeit work and save a lotof time. When i design or "draw " a building or a prototype vehicle that i am building, then i give to an engineer, and he "engineers" it , and gives me back the plans. Thats the normal way it works.

What is the difficult part of the mecanical systems you spoke about? Engine and drive placement?
Center of gravity?
Hull displacement?
Heating and cooling?
Electric distribution?
Thats the easy stuff. Thats all done.
This is a 150,000 lbs vessel not a speed boat. YET

I value your input. Do not think i am being sarcastic. Sometimes its hard to tell in type...

I used to spend a lot of time on here helping people with problems they had with their boats, trucks, trailer, house, whatever.. now i figure the great people on OSO may be able to return a little help. Thank you, joe
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Joe , I would use a box beam
and until you get help onboard there are beam calculator's On Line , BTW Please keep us updated and Good Luck .
Thanks steve! Yeah, the calculators dont have a input for waves though..
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Registered

Steve 1 , i love your website. Who designed it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.