input on new lexan widscreen

Notices

input on new lexan widscreen

Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default input on new lexan widscreen

SO,

I want to lighten the boat up a bit, and modenize it. Going to do a full redo with new paint, interior and cockpit confugyration next winter, but may make this up sooner than that. I want to make it from smoked or grey lexan as the new paint scheme and interior will have silver/black in it. Problem is getting to the deck to anchor etc. I will have to climb over. What I was thinking so that I can get to the deck easily is actualy 2 different winscreens, one for each side with an opening in the center. Each one will extend down the side and follow the lines of the deck(the current screen actually taper up from this), come accross in front of the driver and passenger for about 1/3 the beam on each side, then have a short 1" or so return towards the cabin. What do you all think, it this gonna look good, or like crap? I am attaching pics of what it looks like now, a rough sketche of after, and a drawing to show you the basic shape, dont pick on the drawings, I am far from a computer guy, but if someone wants to fix it up, feel free.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

If you look at the white area above the black in the after pic, that is how much shorter the new one would be.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
SO,

I want to lighten the boat up a bit, and modenize it. Going to do a full redo with new paint, interior and cockpit confugyration next winter, but may make this up sooner than that. I want to make it from smoked or grey lexan as the new paint scheme and interior will have silver/black in it. Problem is getting to the deck to anchor etc. I will have to climb over. What I was thinking so that I can get to the deck easily is actualy 2 different winscreens, one for each side with an opening in the center. Each one will extend down the side and follow the lines of the deck(the current screen actually taper up from this), come accross in front of the driver and passenger for about 1/3 the beam on each side, then have a short 1" or so return towards the cabin. What do you all think, it this gonna look good, or like crap? I am attaching pics of what it looks like now, a rough sketche of after, and a drawing to show you the basic shape, dont pick on the drawings, I am far from a computer guy, but if someone wants to fix it up, feel free.

Thanks for your input.

Where is that picture?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

If you are going to use polycarbonate make sure it is the weather resistant with high UV stabilization. General purpose grades of sheet Polycarb are rather weak when it comes UV protection. A Lexan or Macrolon UV.

I use to make OEM headlamp assemblies and most headlamp lenses that we made that were Polycarbonate were acrylic clear coated to give them UV resistance.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Where is that picture?
I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya, Just kidding..........

Islamorada sandbar
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
If you are going to use polycarbonate make sure it is the weather resistant with high UV stabilization. General purpose grades of sheet Polycarb are rather weak when it comes UV protection. A Lexan or Macrolon UV.

I use to make OEM headlamp assemblies and most headlamp lenses that we made that were Polycarbonate were acrylic clear coated to give them UV resistance.
Good advice, I think I have some 1/8" stuff in the garage I may parctice with this weekend, but the real deal would be 3/16" or 1/4"
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I redid the windshield on my 22-Classic several years ago removing the factory brown acrylic material and replaced it with an abrasion resistant smoked gray polycarbonate. I'm still really happy with the switch and the new material has held up well through the years. The material I used is Makrolon AR #7135 Gray which has an abrasion resistant coating applied. Here's a link to the material,

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/pro...nav_id=3,1,1,1

Also, here's a link to a post on Donzi.net about the material.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...sic-Windshield

Last edited by RickSE; 05-02-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RickSE
I redid the windshield on my 22-Classic several years ago removing the factory brown acrylic matherial and replaced it with an abrasion resistant smoked gray polycarbonate. I'm still really happy with the switch and the new material has held up well through the years. The material I used is Makrolon AR #7135 Gray which has an abrasion resistant coating applied. Here's a link to the material,

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/pro...nav_id=3,1,1,1

Also, here's a link to a post on Donzi.net about the material.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...sic-Windshield
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not feeling all that rick, but its all personal preferences I suppose.
Pm occjoe. He may have something you'd be interested in for a windshield
Not what I've got on my boat, but a lexan windshield for a 24 7
MD
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it would look good and get rid of that ugly tufted vinyl. That look is SOOOO yesterday.....

In all seriousness the gray smoked Lexan would look good too.

Update the boat and make it look modern.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.