Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Idea to help with poker run safety... >

Idea to help with poker run safety...

Notices

Idea to help with poker run safety...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idea to help with poker run safety...

OK, I like other have read about the issues surrounding poker runs for the last few year and I have a thought to help with these issues.
What if there was an "elite" class created for entry in these runs that required a license (training and skills testing would be a prerequisite) to run over a certain MPH in a group, say 80 mph for example. Promoters could hire safety personnel to run with this group like a sanctioned race and monitor the participants. Those that violated safe operation of their vessel and/or violated the rules of the event would face discipilanary action to eventually include suspension/revocation of their license.
Everyone else under the pre-set speed limit would not be required to obtain a license and could enjoy the run at their leisure.
I would think all involved would enjoy the run more secure in the knowledge that even the fast boats have something to lose by not operating their vessel responsibly.

Thoughts? Flame away.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea that would allow the fellas with bigger faster boats stretch there legs safely maybe if poker runs added sections that were patrolled by water police that would also provide an opportunity for safer high speeds
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

It makes sense, though the 80 mph bar is a little low. The biggest obstacle, Theres 3 racing orgs that cant cooperate, so how are you going to get all the different poker run groups to get interact?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

JMO, but it seems as thought that kind of structure/definition would basically define it as "racing", which would require a closed course, which most poker run organizers (as far as I know) would have a very difficult time setting up considering the distances they run on public waters.

Flame away.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keytime
JMO, but it seems as thought that kind of structure/definition would basically define it as "racing", which would require a closed course, which most poker run organizers (as far as I know) would have a very difficult time setting up considering the distances they run on public waters.

Flame away.
Let's face it, it already is racing for the fast group at some events, just needs some structure and common sense applied.

It doesn't matter if the three groups get along, the licensing should be independent of promoters anyway, thus no motivation to let someone or some group "bend" the rules.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Not a bad ideas, sensible stuff, see, discussing safety in a intelligent manor can actually work, I guess it wasn't so crazy bringing it up after all huh.

Thanks, SumOb
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Not a bad idea, but unfortunately a quick way to put Poker Runs out of business.

Here's an idea:

Normal Poker Run on Saturday with a twist:
The local law enforcement will be out in spades with their radar/laser guns. No one runs over 90mph.
End of event Poker Run event, including associated insurance coverage.

sunday Sunday SUNDAY!!
Run what you brung challenge at 8AM sharp.
If you ran over 90mph on Saturday, you are disqualified from participating.
No safety boats.
Unsanctioned.
Place and collect your own bets, $$ or life.

Nah, that wouldn't work either. Someone will mess that up in 10 minutes.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
Let's face it, it already is racing for the fast group at some events, just needs some structure and common sense applied.
Yes, but my point was that closing the course would be key and that would be near impossible. That's one angle I think that might kill the idea in reality.

Let me clarify... I'm all for the idea and I think it shows a desire to be safer, I'm just seeing a serious issue with it coming to fruition based on my observation.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I own a boat that goes 75mph on it's best day, but I run with lots of other that easily break 100+ mark and have been in tons of PR and fun runs over the years and the time I felt the safest was during a fun run this past New Years Day.

The first time I ran in open water (Gulf) FMO ran from Ft. Myers down to Marco Island and it was perfect, LOTS of open water for everybody to spread out and go as fast as you could or wanted, that's where these unrestricted runs would work the best, JMO.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

Great Idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.