Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How you use your Vacation Time at work?? >

How you use your Vacation Time at work??

Notices

How you use your Vacation Time at work??

Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left my old job which actually required me (by law) to take a two week vacation (consecutive days) without access to e-mail. I always planned it around the Key West races! All told I would get about 30 days PTO, although I don’t think I ever used my full allocation of vaca days ever in my career.
My recommendation is that if you are planning on sticking around local to use the boat, take a couple Friday’s off and stretch your weekends. If you are planning to get away, take the week. Not sure what kind of job you have, but for me, it always seemed like I was never able to get away from work if I took 1 day off. I was still on e-mail, phone, etc. However, when you get into the 3-4 day range and beyond, and you know someone else has to cover for you, you’re able to start to separate yourself a little more (at least I was). That’s where you really start to decompress.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie695
Wow... 25?? thats nice!

But also I can figure... if its going to be a crappy weekend weather I can always just scratch off that Friday and just work and put that vacat day to an Thursday or something. Well... I suppose Ill be turning my vacation time today then! Come on Summer!!!
I dont know your job but Im almost positive they wont take kindly to "oh hey, tomorrows nice can i schedule a PTO day?" or "hey, tomorrow not nice take my PTO day off". That usually messes up HR's things which you wouldnt want on your sh*t list.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have over 400 hrs time off. Damn chit builds up faster than I can use it and only been there 11 yrs.

The wife and I take every fri off starting Memorial weekend, thru No 1st. Head to lake Thur at 4:30 after work. Usually toss full week or 2 off during mid summer and just stay at lake all week.

Been doing this for yrs and love it. Life is good working for a University. It's all about the benefits. Not uncommon to go in to work in morning, and decide an hour later, this an't working. I'm outta here! We prefer to use our time every Fri, all summer long and make it a 3 day weekend every weekend vs taking it all at once. Makes the work weeks shorter so we have a better attitude toward work (no work burn out)

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.