Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mitcher T comes to the 'Cuse to refresh and repair SSR#1 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/295723-mitcher-t-comes-cuse-refresh-repair-ssr-1-a.html)

Filtrman 05-03-2013 11:57 PM

Mitcher T comes to the 'Cuse to refresh and repair SSR#1

4 Attachment(s)
I had the unfortunate situation last October 2012 where a young kid driving way too fast thru a 90 degree bend in the highway, found himself in my lane as I was puling my boat thru the same bend......... on my way to my mechanic for a pre-winter PM!
He corrected at the Nth second.....but not good enough!!
His VW Passat head on collided with my Vanguard Trailer wheel well and took out 2 of my 3 axles. (Believe it or not, I was still able to limp it down and back it into my mechanic Jimmy Raymond's shop, which is about 400 yards from the accident scene.) The kids VW was TOTALED!!
After quick inspection of my boat at the accident scene, There appeared to be no damage to the hull and paint..........but after we wiped all the rain droplets off her.....I got very sick to my stomach.....the kids left front custom aluminum rim exploded upon impact, and in schrapnelized pieces, sprayed the side of my girl...here are the B4 pics......

low_psi 05-04-2013 12:07 AM

Wow! I can't say that I have ever seen a wheel turn into a grenade like that..... But it does make sense with the brittle and porous nature of a cast aluminum wheel. Guessing it had to have been a cheap cast aftermarket wheel. I don't think a quality forged or even a quality cast wheel would do that...

Filtrman 05-04-2013 12:35 AM

After much reassurance from Joe Schaldenbrand, John McKosky (aka:Scagburner....John , I appologize if I misspelled your last name) and the man himself......Mitcher T.....I was feeling MUCH better!!
After a rough start, the kids Insurance carrier, Nationwide was extremely accomodating, and empathetic to entire situation. (I was impressed with their sense of urgency and it helped minimize the BS)
Mitch quoted them a price to fly himself and a helper..... in his personal plane... to me in Syracuse NY, to fix my baby......for a price that , I'm VERY confident, was MUCH lower than they anticipated!! Here are the pics of his visit from Sunday April 14th thru Wednesday April 17th.......
Mitch and his hillarious side kick Tim were on their way....
What a great time we had those 2 1/2 days and 3 nights!!
It's not every day you have MITCHER T in town to bring your baby back to NEW Condition!!
Oh.......and I had him Trick my brand new Pheonix Trailer Nationwide hooked me up with to match SSR#1:evilb:
Here are the pics.....

Filtrman 05-04-2013 01:00 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 1

Filtrman 05-04-2013 01:07 AM

10 Attachment(s)
.jj

Chris@McLeod 05-04-2013 04:21 AM

I can't believe the kid is still alive! Mitcher T is the man! Boats looking good Mike. Hope all is well

Chuck 05-04-2013 05:00 AM

Looking good Mike. Mitcher's talent is amazing!

Scagburner 05-04-2013 06:57 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day. I’m glad you have it under control. Mitch does amazing work – I’ve seen several boats that he’s touched up and there are NO signs if the work. How did the trailer turn out?

Let me know your Poker Run schedule. I need to get my summer plans worked out and would like to hook up for a run or two!

PRIMECUT 05-04-2013 08:29 AM

Looks great,Mitcher T is the man.

Kelly O 05-04-2013 10:39 AM

Mike, Sorry to hear of this but great that you got the boat repaired.

Mitch told me he was going to be back in the neighborhood, he flew over last fall and touched up a couple of his favorite Fountains- doing a great job as well !

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Filtrman 05-04-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks guys!!
Yes....Mitch is a Talent unlike any other.....after witnessing his process first hand, I have summed him up as an incredible artist with an incredible attention to detail, that knows how to paint!! Basically, There are boat painters .....and then there is Mitcher T!! What a treat it was to watch him work.....

John....lets defintely get the SSR's together for a run or two this year for sure!!

Kelly...All's well that ends well I say!! Not only did Mitch take care of the damage to the side of the boat, he took care of EVERY Blemish on her!! (Including inside the cockpit):D
....and as an added bonus, I had him Trick out my 2013 Pheonix Trailer to match the boat:evilb:
It was a pain in the ass for sure........but I made sure that what I ended up with at the end of the day was an improvement from B4!! SHE LOOKS BRAND NEW BABY!!

Filtrman 05-04-2013 07:14 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Day 1 continued

Filtrman 05-04-2013 08:08 PM

Here's Mitch doing some work in the cockpit with my buddy Dave Stone on the assist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI631...yer_detailpage

Filtrman 05-04-2013 09:13 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2

Filtrman 05-04-2013 09:14 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2 Continued..

Filtrman 05-04-2013 09:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2 cont.

Scagburner 05-04-2013 09:55 PM

Mike - Nice shop by the way...

Funny... I would have never guessed there was a red base under the blue. I guess that's why I don't paint boats. lol! This is why no one except Mitch should ever touch the paint on these boats.

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:00 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2 cont.

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:13 PM

:D

Originally Posted by Scagburner (Post 3919111)
Mike - Nice shop by the way...

Funny... I would have never guessed there was a red base under the blue. I guess that's why I dont paint boats. lol! This is why no one except Mitch should ever touch the paint on these boats.

Thanks John:)

Without any doubt , I concur wholeheartedly ......but then again, why would you have anyone else do this level of repair work I ask...when you have "THE MAN" available to do the job right?? Mitch has his own plane and is willing to come to you to take care of business.....
and let me tell you......after he's had his breakfast in the am......the man doesn't stop to even drop a duece for the balance of the day!! No lunch, no tunes...just business baby!! (Well....maybe he did drop a duece or 2 during his stay......we had him and his Best Buddy Tim out to the Dinosaur BBQ on Sunday night for starters:D)

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:23 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2 cont.

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:30 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Day 2 cont.

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:39 PM

Here's Mitch laying on the clear over the paint work he just did!
and check out the trailer work.........(That ain't no vinyl sticker job...that's paint baby!) F...in' Amazing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWIZ...yer_detailpage

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:44 PM

Day 2 still cont but getting there.....

What Damage??? Where???

Filtrman 05-04-2013 10:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here we go....Day 2 still cont but getting there.....

What Damage??? Where???

Filtrman 05-04-2013 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Filtrman (Post 3919138)
Day 2 still cont but getting there.....

What Damage??? Where???

??? I'm getting tired...

Filtrman 05-04-2013 11:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
....last batch for Day 2....

Trailer detail is OFF THE HOOK!!

Captain YARRR 05-04-2013 11:35 PM

Wow! Thank you for all these pics! Your unfortunate situation really is turning in to something very special though.

Pwraddr 05-05-2013 07:34 AM

Looks great!

VT32SSR 05-05-2013 07:41 AM

Looks great, Mitch is the man...Glad it all worked out for you.

Wildman_grafix 05-05-2013 08:59 AM

Love the fades.

Question, when he is shooting the clear, it looks like a hard mask line. How will you not feel that? What does he do to it?

I never have (and don't think I want to) spray something that big so for me this is interesting.

Filtrman 05-08-2013 09:01 PM

10 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 3919295)
Love the fades.

Question, when he is shooting the clear, it looks like a hard mask line. How will you not feel that? What does he do to it?

I never have (and don't think I want to) spray something that big so for me this is interesting.

All I can tell ya Wildman is that he's a Magician!!
I must have told him that at least a half dozen times while he was working on her... No BS!

Here is the last batch of pics I took but forgot to post...

Filtrman 05-08-2013 09:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)
and final pics...
What a cool experience it was!!

fabin61 05-08-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Filtrman (Post 3919122)
:D

Thanks John:)

Without any doubt , I concur wholeheartedly ......but then again, why would you have anyone else do this level of repair work I ask...when you have "THE MAN" available to do the job right?? Mitch has his own plane and is willing to come to you to take care of business.....
and let me tell you......after he's had his breakfast in the am......the man doesn't stop to even drop a duece for the balance of the day!! No lunch, no tunes...just business baby!! (Well....maybe he did drop a duece or 2 during his stay......we had him and his Best Buddy Tim out to the Dinosaur BBQ on Sunday night for starters:D)

I love Dinosaur BBQ. I used to live in Liverpool. My roommate had a little 21' Baja. We boated up on Oneida. Is that where you guys boat or do you go up to Ontario?

Level III Chaos 05-08-2013 11:24 PM

Looks awesome. What size and type tires and rims on your trailer? They look awesome too!

Knot 4 Me 05-09-2013 07:34 AM

Are those brown Crocs?! :lolhit: Looks great. Mitch is the man!

LAriverratt 05-09-2013 07:34 AM

Mitch is def the man...he flew in here and did some touch ups to mine!!! great guy, great custom paint design and painter...he really know his chit!!!

Wildman_grafix 05-09-2013 07:45 AM

Looks killer I really like the work he does, I also thought it was wild how he went up and down rather then side to side. Like how he carried the trouble light so he could see the clear laying down.

Question:
Is the Dinosaur BBQ a biker/ blues bar in Syracuse? If so I have been there a couple of times in the early 90's, I think I have a CD around somewhere that they recorded live there.

Knot 4 Me 05-09-2013 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos (Post 3921984)
Looks awesome. What size and type tires and rims on your trailer? They look awesome too!

T03's in this link. This place supplies a lot ot the trailer manufactures with their wheels/tires.

http://www.tredittire.com/Aluminum-Wheels-C10.aspx

I picked up a set of their T09's.

4bus 05-09-2013 09:47 AM

You had him here and didn't share???? I didn't even hear of the accident Mike, which is rare around here! Glad everyone is ok, time to get her out and play yet?

Level III Chaos 05-09-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3922092)
T03's in this link. This place supplies a lot ot the trailer manufactures with their wheels/tires.

http://www.tredittire.com/Aluminum-Wheels-C10.aspx

I picked up a set of their T09's.

Thanks. I'll take a look. What I want is 5 or 6 spoke and 16X6 and 8 lug-6.5