I need advice for GPS tracking >

I need advice for GPS tracking

Notices

I need advice for GPS tracking

Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I need advice for GPS tracking

I need advice for GPS tracking system in the event my boat was to be stolen.

I truly have little if no knowledge of these systems other than what i read online and its a bit confusing how I use it in the area I live - Thailand - I see package services with coverage areas and such but most are USA and other more developed countries.

My question is - are there trackers that simply notify if its moved (perimeter fencing) with a SIM card on the unit inside the boat (?) and have the GPS satellite sending unit - so there is 2 fail-safe systems.

And does the same system allow me to track the whereabouts of the boat myself on a computer or on IPHONE (on Thai phone service provider) so I am the one viewing the map location and either able to find the boat myself or steering the police where to find it (?)

I have heard horror stories from those without a GPS tracking device and success stories from people that did have one.

I have a Furuno radar if that makes a diff (?)

Can you guys help me out what the best on the market is - I am using this in Thailand where theft and piracy is abundant.

My boat is in Houston, Texas area now and ready for a competent installation before being prepped for shipping.

I also posted a thread about installation of an alarm and advice about what brand to buy. If both the GPS tracker and alarm was available same shop that would be great.

Thanks for all the advice past few years guys - is really appreciated.

Last edited by siamjimi; 05-05-2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Default Powerboat tracking devices, tpms, fixed asset trackers etc.

Encompass Telematics in Texas is a supplier of dual mode powerboat tracking devices. You can geofence your device and get an email notification if it is moved. Simple installation. impossible for thief to detect and also runs on auxilliary internal battery should power cables or install wires get cut. Units are currently installed in Nortech, Statement, Cigarette, and many other name brand boats. Please call 903-235-2250 and ask for Larry Luna. We also distribute an excellent line of TPMS for boat trailers as well as tracking units for trailers
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

www.findmespot.com

Spot works well and is inexpensive
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

http://www.spytechs.com/
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered

if you want to ask someone that has had a lot of experience using various GPS systems send a PM to the owner of this youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/RepoNut

he repos cars for a living and has been doing it 25 years and in many of his videos he shows himself using GPS devices that are either wired into the factory OBDII or some that are just planted on the frame of the car

for you since it is a boat not a car there is probably no OBDII to wire into and a temporary one would only have battery power for a month at the most, but what he can answer for you is what systems have the best tracking and real time locating (which is the most important feature if it is stolen)

on many of his videos the systems he uses can show him real time and he can tail a vehicle all over town without seeing the vehicle or them seeing him

I know he is working with cars, but I am pretty sure he can give you the names of some of the better companies to deal with especially as far as the software and tracking is concerned and most companies should be able to have a model or make a model that would wire into a boat and run off the main batteries VS the OBDII in a car...and he can probably give you other advice as to where to plant it and not make it easily seen or accessible as well

if you look through the titles of his videos you can see some with GPS tracking ect mentioned and those will show him using the systems he uses and some of them he mentions the best brands he has found.....and anyone with a password (the client that pays for the device) can get access to follow the device/vehicle and the one he uses you do not pay "per ping" so it is not an issue to check it frequently and also you can have the account inactive until you need it as well and then you activate it and you can start pinging the device to see where it is located.....so if you saw your boat daily, but only for a few seconds each day as you passed by it and then if it was gone you would know it was gone in the last 24 hours or less and start tracking it and paying again

or the flip side if you do not see your boat for weeks at a time you just pay the monthly activation and you can ping the device to see where it is located to your hearts content with no extra charges and have it mapped to right where it is at that moment......it also holds historical locations as well so you can follow a path

contact him and I am sure he can give you the names of great companies and especially answer the software and use questions
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM
Registered

thanks to all of you for the excellent referrals and info

this certainly gives me some direction
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Check with "Guard Dog". http://guarddoggps.com I know they offer both a cell tracking system with an international SIM card and also satellite tracking. I have a couple of units and am happy with them. One of them is in use in the Caribbean, the other in USA and Canada. Very user friendly. Good luck.

Bob