Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
FL may repeal Ethanol requirement >

FL may repeal Ethanol requirement

Notices

FL may repeal Ethanol requirement

Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Corn is food, not fuel. 1/3 of corn crop goes into fuel. TexasVines can rationalize it all he wants, but the fact is, the negative affect on our food prices alone is enough to offset any sort of "greater good" feel-good argument that you can come up with in support of ethanol for fuel.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good, screw that hippy sheit
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
Corn is food, not fuel. 1/3 of corn crop goes into fuel. TexasVines can rationalize it all he wants, but the fact is, the negative affect on our food prices alone is enough to offset any sort of "greater good" feel-good argument that you can come up with in support of ethanol for fuel.
Corn that is used for Ethanol is not used for food! Just feed. The feed value is still there after the ethanol is made. Only the starch is used. That's the part that cows and pigs crap away.

Yes, I am a farmer!! I do burn E10 in my 22 year old boat.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
Corn that is used for Ethanol is not used for food! Just feed. The feed value is still there after the ethanol is made. Only the starch is used. That's the part that cows and pigs crap away.

Yes, I am a farmer!! I do burn E10 in my 22 year old boat.
exactly.....the starch in corn that is used to make ethanol is not that great of a feed ingredient especially for cattle and the DDGs and WDGs that are left over are much better feed ingredients than raw corn and raw corn is 12-15% moisture as well while DDGs are 5% moisture so it makes much more sense to be shipping a better feed ingredient that is better utilized by the animal and that is 10% less water by weight VS shipping something that is 15% water....that is why one of the fastest growing exports to China is DDGs and that is why China takes a large portion of their raw corn that they import and makes it into ethanol and DDGs......and the reason for the high price of corn is because of a major drought across the midwest last year and across the southwest last year and the year before that ruined corn crops and that ruined hay crops and sorghum crops in the southwest which lead to more corn feeding

and one does not have to be a shill for an industry to be able to understand that places like Brazil have 83% of their new cars sold in 2011 being flex fuel cars that can adjust and run on pretty much any blend of ethanol and gas

and perhaps of boat engine makers would look around for readily available technologies that places like Brazil (and all the major world car makers) are able to utilize they could produce an engine that is compatible with ethanol and runs cleaner and then they would not need to add the cost and weight and power robbing emissions controls....but that takes actual effort I suppose

and the reality is that millions of boats now are running on E10 and the owners probably do not even know what E10 is and they are not having any issues because they run their boat more than the let it sit up and they take care of it and store it properly

pretty much all options have issues in life if you look to find an issue with something, but sitting around thinking that raw gas will be the long term fuel of the future with no blending is just ignoring reality.....even if I and everyone on this forum wants raw gas to be the fuel of easy availability.....and the real reality is there is a large group of people out there that would just assume kill power boating all together and going after the emissions and fuel is just one of their methods.....and that is a reality that can't be ignored even if you would like to club those idiots like a baby seal

Last edited by TexasVines; 05-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered

If the government writes corn farmers a check then they should write everyone a check
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schnydo
If the government writes corn farmers a check then they should write everyone a check
+1
Thank You
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisK
I has seen what the ethanol does to engines first hand. Small engines especially. They have destroyed them, and these don't sit for more than a few days at most. Everything else has been kept the same. The only thIng that changed was the fuel. Many of the landscape companies around here converted their mowers to run on propane. After talking with 2 different ones they said there was 2 main reasons, it's cheaper to run on propane. The bigger one was they both were tired of the blown motors from the ethanol in the fuel. Non ethanol fuel is very hard to come by around here.
I've seen this first hand with my garden equipment. Every engine has either had the carburetor replaced, or the entire engine (same price as the carburetor). I had two carburetors go in one week! It's a real waste. If it sits very long now, I dump the gas out and replace with fresh.

Michael
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

I totally understand the hassles people have with fuel systems on older cars boats and equipment. Definitely can be a hassle sometimes.
We are a performance community here.. if we put aside politics.. environment.. feelings etc and look at how ethanol and performance work together. I used to be on the anti ethanol bandwagon growing up a carbureted muscle car and boat guy.

Today.. I build and tune turbo drag race and road race cars. I also build and tune muscle cars. E85 is unbelievable. It happens to be race gas for the price of 93 (e85 uses about 30% more fuel than e10 93 so the cheaper e85 equals out)
I tune cars on e85 that needed c16 for $20 per gallon! Guys with drag cars that ran on race gas only with 14:1 engines are now running on e85 at the pump. Turbo cars that needed to run low boost on 93 now run cranked up on e85
Ethanol deters spark knock. I can get more power without knock on 93 with 10% ethanol than running straight gasoline.
All newer fuel system parts from earls russel etc work with ethanol.. cars from the mid 90s and on have ethanol ready fuel system parts (designed for the 10%)

I took my 96 twin turbo 3000GT and added a larger pump and larger injectors and I've been running max boost on e85 for a year already. I used to need race gas for that. I often think about doing an e85 carb on my 548 in my kryptonite and run a big blower on it. E85 as a race fuel has taken off huge.

So in summary.. as a performance guy who is not involved in the political end of it.. ill take my 10% in 93 and hope the ethanol market stays and keeps e85 going! Any of You guys that have forced induction or high comp engines that need race gas should look into ethanol!! I did and I never looked back

Ray
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok politics aside, I don't think it is a question of whether or not ethanol based fuels can make horsepower with proper tuning- they can. My issue is being stuck using a less efficient fuel that can and does damage the "old technology" engines I own that were designed to run on gasoline.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"If the government writes corn farmers a check then they should write everyone a check "

To heck with putting politics aside- What if the gov't quit writing checks with our hard earned money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.