Hats Off To Boating Parents! >

Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Notices

Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a parent has tought me how to have patience.
Having child on board isn't all the difficult. You just have to pay attention to what he/she's doing and where they are. If I'm behind the wheel, the wife watches. If she's driving, I watch. No problem. All this is natural if you already have kids.

We have a 4 year old grandson who goes out with us every time we do. He's been going with us for three years and has become the perfect second mate. He pulls the chocks out from under the wheels after the trailer is hooked up, helps put the drain plugs in at the ramp, holds a line while at the dock, helps unload and clean up at the end of the day. What more can I ask?
Oh, and we've been teaching him how to drive the boat this year. He does real good. Keeps a nice straight wake.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread brings back A LOT of fond memories for me....

I grew up on the boat....literally. I was born on Labor Day Weekend and was in the boat on the water one week later. Every birthday I had until I was 12 was at the lake with friends camping. That's how I though birthdays were supposed to be. My parents camped out just about every weekend with at least 2 one week trips each year. I thought EVERYONE lived life like this. That's how it was supposed to be in my eyes.

Present Day....two daughters, 5 and 3. Very rare for us to go to the lake without them. Thought of it makes me cringe. They have been on the lake since they were a few weeks old. It can be a little hectic at times loading and unloading the boat. Daddy gets a little worked up sometimes. I'm starting to realize it's not worth getting mad about. The payoff for taking them out on the boat every weekend is well worth it. The time spent together, the memories, fear of water, and just overall living life. Some friends think we're unfit parents for taking our kids to the lake. I see it differently, they are unfit for sitting home all weekend....their loss.

My 3 year old tubed for the first time by herself the other day. Father's day I might add. Tough to put a price on memories like that. I still think about it at work when I see the grin on her face.

The girls love it now and will benefit from it greatly in the future. Nuff said.

Buck
Old 06-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have taken our son out with us since he was 4 months old. It was great when he was that young. He would go to sleep just minutes after the boat was started. The rumble of a big block really puts kids to sleep. The next summer at 1.5 years old he was a handfull. We took him out 4 times then called it quits. When he wasnt happy no one on the boat was happy. We were kind of scared to try this year at 2.5 years old but did it anyway. What a joy to have him back on the boat. He loved it. I think at the 1.5 years old range he couldnt move around with the lifejacket on. He would try but would just fall over. We tried to help but he got frustrated. Now hes good to go!
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-dsc00182.jpg  
Old 06-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

He loves standing in the bolster in the no wake zones.
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-dsc00180.jpg  
Old 06-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Registered

Now he can roam around on his own. Here he is playing in the cabin.

I cant describe the feeling I get when he says "FASTER DADDY!"
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-dsc00187.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about being out there really soothes them. Taking kids is not much hassle at all. My 7 yr old daughter has been boating since she was about 6 mos. and she is currently more helpful than my wife. I now have a 3 1/2 month old boy who has been out a few times already.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

This is a pic from last year of my 8 year old (then 7) doing 40. My wife and my 4 and 3 year (then 2 and 3) old in the back. She can navigate if I say "go to kellys" and navigate out the channel.

This year I lost a MSD box so she drove. Mom held the kids and look out. I forgot the power steering was also gone. She man handled while I checked engines.

This year she's 70mph qualified and is learning thottles. Talk about a proud papa
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-s3.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Registered

Mom holding the kids in the back.
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-s1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Registered

Navigating out the channel.
Attached Thumbnails Hats Off To Boating Parents!-s2.jpg  
Old 06-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a 4 1/2 Y.O. boy who gets very P.O.ed when I go out without him. Had new interior installed last winter and I had a padded cushion installed on the Cigs cuddy hatch. He sets there whenever we are in no wake zones - holds the windshield frame and is all smiles.

But...........when having kids on the boat...........we always hope not to here the dreaded 5 words!!

"Daddy, I got to poop!"

Because, as most of the people on this thread know, when a 4 Y.O. says that - facilities had better be found quickly!!!

Quick Reply: Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.