Beware Globe Impeller's with a plastic hub

Notices

Beware Globe Impeller's with a plastic hub

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware Globe Impeller's with a plastic hub

Guys,

I had a Globe "run-dry" Impeller fail on me last weekend. The plastic hub split and allowed the shaft to spin within it, stranding me on the water. The part no is 2002 and fits a Mercruiser Sea Water pump on my 496 Mag HO. I spoke to Globe and they are aware of this problem and are tooling new impeller's with brass hub's. Unfortunately they are not available for another 4-6 weeks. I have two on order for myself. Let this server as a warning to all. BTW the impeller was less than two years old and had less than 50 hours on it when it failed.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

WOW! Thanks for the heads up! I was looking at the Globe to replace the Merc impeller at the next change.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've asked these questions many, many, many times; Why do you need a "run dry" impleller, does your motor not require water to stay cool? Do you get a lot of hang time at WOT? Do you do a lot of trailer racing? Are there blockages in your water intake? If you answer yes to any or all of these questions then a run dry impeller will last longer and work better than a conventional Merc impeller at pumping air without burning up. It wont however help keep your motor or exhaust cool and alive. It's a pointless product.

Replace your impellers every two years, don't run your pumps dry and lay off the thottles when your on your garden hose and you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Have used the Globes with no problems and change every 2 years

Last edited by PRIMECUT; 05-24-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well ok then... why would you start up dry?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would equate a dry start up of a boat similar to a motor being started with no oil.. Why in the hell would you do it on purpose??
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heard WAY to many issue with the globes for years, won't use em.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Registered

While you may not "need" a run-dry impeller, I've opted for them after putting my boat in the lake and forgetting to route the raw water from the hose connection to the out-drive, took less than a minute to disintegrate my Mercruiser impeller. Mistakes happen. I also boat with many weeds and wanted the piece of mind that if I temporarily lacked water the "run dry" would survive until the weeds got blown off. I have also sucked up a plastic bag on a previous outboard and lunched that engine. stuff happens.

I also noted that the Mercruiser impeller has a plastic insert too. I'm going to wait for the brass insert Globe's and run those, my $.02.