Notices

needed a rise in my seats

Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default needed a rise in my seats

Just put a set of Skater type sitdown highbacks in the Pantera and took it out this past weekend with the wife. Seats are a bit low mounted right to the floor so neither of us could see over the dash very well. Also, mounted solid to the floor, every little vibration is felt. I am eventually going to replace the dash with a lower profile one, and the solid windscreen with a lexan one, but she is a teacher and done with school next week. We want to use the boat this summer a bunch, so I am just going to raise the seats a bit for now rather than tearing into a project and ruining the summer. Just picked up a set of these from Great lakes skipper, anyone ever use them? I figured I would get a bit of a rise(2/3/4"), get a little suspension, and maybe alleviate some of the vibration.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I see a whole lot of twisting go on. I'd rather see that spring designed like a shock over a piston; that allows the flex to happen along a single vertical axis.

Good luck with it, and make sure to report back.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

I highly doubt that will twist at all. Looks like a perfect solution for what you want to do!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501539[/ATTACH] That should do it.......
Attached Thumbnails needed a rise in my seats-telephone%25u002520books_books.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

PowerQuest used something like that made out of wood with 2 springs and it worked great..
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501539[/ATTACH] That should do it.......
That works for the wife, but not me, I cant drive sliding around on those

Many years ago I had to drive a certain Pantera race boat that had sitdowns and was owned by someone that was MUCH larger than me(at the time), stopped at K-mart on the way to the ramp and got pillows and duct tape
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I see a whole lot of twisting go on. I'd rather see that spring designed like a shock over a piston; that allows the flex to happen along a single vertical axis.

Good idea Brian,

I am gonna give these a try, and if it is an issue I may just re design them that way, as the height may still not be quite enough. Only thing is to get a shock short enough that still has enough play to not bind and bottom out, these are about 3 inches, but if I need to go higher would probably go to 5"
Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

For BobbyB's raceboat, they just zipped a couple milk crates down to the floor with self tapping screws.

The spring might be fine for the aft side of the base like you have pictured, but if you could insert a couple of rods on each outside corner, with a receiver tube on the other end, I'd think that would alleviate any significant twist.

And keep your mind out of the gutter peanut gallery!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I agree when running hard there will be some twisting. Sydwayz had a great idea. At the least you could weld a couple "pins" on the bottom with slotted holes in the top portion to minimize the side-to-side movement.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 903 Posts

Great Lakes Skipper sells a lot of stuff and is a big seller on ebay. I have never heard any complaints about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.