Made it to 70mph with ease >

Made it to 70mph with ease

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally got the last part of the puzzle (so to speak) on Friday from an OSO member, THANK YOU! The ign module for a V6 for my blown 496. Took it out this weekend and pressed my luck a bit and took it 5500 with more to go. This was with a 24/3 Bravo. From what I was told I need to keep that blower under 5000 due to its size. So I need to run a bit bigger prop and hopefully grab some more speed. I have a chiller on it and when I was running and checking things over I noticed the chiller was warm/hot. ?????? All the plumbing is new and with a garden hose up the intake (low pressure) and I have great water flow. I Have my p/u tube about 3/8 below the transom (rear mount). Discharge is below swim platform so cant see while moving. Was going to barrow a scope/camera to try and see. What do you think?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nonstop
So I finally got the last part of the puzzle (so to speak) on Friday from an OSO member, THANK YOU! The ign module for a V6 for my blown 496. Took it out this weekend and pressed my luck a bit and took it 5500 with more to go. This was with a 24/3 Bravo. From what I was told I need to keep that blower under 5000 due to its size. So I need to run a bit bigger prop and hopefully grab some more speed. I have a chiller on it and when I was running and checking things over I noticed the chiller was warm/hot. ?????? All the plumbing is new and with a garden hose up the intake (low pressure) and I have great water flow. I Have my p/u tube about 3/8 below the transom (rear mount). Discharge is below swim platform so cant see while moving. Was going to barrow a scope/camera to try and see. What do you think?
Would prob be easier to just cap the old discharge and put a new on on the side, unless you plan on always running a camera back there?

What blower are you running? What rpm was your engine designed to run at? Loading the engine down to 5000 rpm to "save" the blower might not be the best idea. It will be more strain on the engine and drive at WOT

Heat transfer from a hot blower and warm engine will almost instantly transfer to the chiller once you stop moving and forcing water through. The fact that it was warm is not a big deal, however I would still move that output to the side so you can keep and eye on it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered

Thanks 4bus for the info. The blower is a 174 B&M with a Supper Chiller from Teague. The motor last year would top out at 5000 with the same prop and STRUGGLE to hit 65. Cam is a Crane hyd flat tappet 571/556 with 114. This year added Sharp roller rockers, Stainless exhaust, w/p cross over, blower and chiller. Boat is 3400lbs. With the small cam I figured 5000/5200 is where it would like to be. As far as the chiller discharge I didnt think of having to keep an eye on it all the time. I have a clear strainer bowl that i can see easy enough in the engine room. I know, that dose me NO good right now. I get your point. Maybe I'll cap them temporarily and make up another discharge overboard just to chk.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Really need the duration numbers at .050 off the cam card. That is a tiny blower for a 496CI engine.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Registered

Cam is 236/246. I have rectangular port 502 marine heads that have not been touched porting wise. I up graded the stock springs. All things considered I am kind of happy to have picked up 500 to 1000 rpm with such a small blower. Think the exhaust helped a bit over the stock system from last year. I think Mild you helped me out last year figuring out a few things!