Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need help with boat  choice >

need help with boat choice

Notices

need help with boat choice

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would steer clear of a whippled (or any type of boosted) 496 unless the owner has a pile of receipts for internal engine upgrades and professional installation and dyno tuning.

The Aggressor would be my choice if it's clean, half the price and the right hardware, assuming it was properly built.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boosted22
i like the power play but im not totally sold on the full sit down style. thats the one thing i hated about my scarab 22 was the small cuddy. i would assume the 496 ho is stock are they not a good motor in the stock form with low boost?
496 HO is a good motor in the stock form, But not the greatest if tinkered with.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

The 288 is a great boat! I searched long and hard at most mfgs before making my purchase. There are distinct differences pre '05 vs 05+ hulls. They handle water conditions great. On plane quickly. Outstanding rigging and not to mention factory support.

Don't be gun shy to take a look at one or even take one out for a sea trial if you're interested.

Still today, if you put a PP in front of me and a Sunny, I'd take the Sunny. I like chevys but i drive fords. It's all in what you like and what meets your individual interests and/or needs!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

i like the power play but im not totally sold on the full sit down style. thats the one thing i hated about my scarab 22 was the small cuddy. i would assume the 496 ho is stock are they not a good motor in the stock form with low boost?
I would say get a stand up/bolster boat only around here. Unless it was a big cat I can't see a sit down only boqt being fun in these parts. Nothing against them but it seems like a lot of the fun and enjoy is lost with them.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

those pistons are going to explode...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered

I definitely wouldn't get a 25' sunny over a 28'. They are pretty well built, but are very small boats. They have flip up bolster seats but you will stick out like a hard on in sweat pants if you are over 5'6" and standing up. They ride good for a 3000lb 23' boat, which is what they are. Even a 24' outlaw would be a better choice. The outlaw is twice the size and will ride better than the aggressor. The build quality of the baja isn't even close to the sunny or PP though.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
The 288 is a great boat! I searched long and hard at most mfgs before making my purchase. There are distinct differences pre '05 vs 05+ hulls. They handle water conditions great. On plane quickly. Outstanding rigging and not to mention factory support.

Don't be gun shy to take a look at one or even take one out for a sea trial if you're interested.

Still today, if you put a PP in front of me and a Sunny, I'd take the Sunny. I like chevys but i drive fords. It's all in what you like and what meets your individual interests and/or needs!
Judging by your avatar, you have an open bow, for what you're doing a PP or similar boat would be overkill. If at any point in your boating someone could safely ride up front get a stepped/pad boat w/ amenities and space for sure.