Notices

21 Challenger People

Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Bucy
Phil, I have pics, will post the before, during and after. The hull is in excellent shape for it's age.Bad stringers, floor and transom: all need to be replaced. Believe the boat to be late 70's. Forgot to mention in my first/last post that I was led to believe by the previous owner that it was the first Challenger 21 to come to Bermuda. Which is where I live. Thanks Jon Bucy
I remember that Bermuda boat, I think Steve Defeo sent that boat to Bermuda and I think he co drove it in a race there. I also think that was a boat with a notch transom, I drove one on greenwood lake when they built it. At that time Steve worked at Image and he brought it to greenwood lake. The boat really did not run well as rigged that day, would not Carry the bow at all.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by T2x
That's interesting in that we have one of 5 1981 Step bottomed (That's right folks...1981 ..... before Hustler or Fountain even existed) Shadows in Joey's shop now...and the owner is putting dual 2.5's on it (old style)... Speedmasters, as you know, change the whole equation ...and outboard speedmasters (much smaller than your MC1's) really increase handling and manners at speed...Unfortunately this guy has a limited budget...20" engines..... and stock gearcases. The twins always ran much flatter than the singles but it will be interesting to see what the step does or doesn't add to the equation.

T2x
Of course all of the twin boats ran cleavers, lots of stern lift, little to no bow lift, not to mention most had some weight in the bow. Counter rotating lowers just locked the boats in, (in a good way of course). The twin boats ran like freight trains flat and fast, actually handled better in my opinion than the single boats. so much power and speed there was no need to hang them, they just powered through anything! The twin boats were awesome. Werner Kuenzle had a SB that he rigged with twins on brackets, actually the boat did not like the brackets at all. Ran 92 all day.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
Of course all of the twin boats ran cleavers, lots of stern lift, little to no bow lift, not to mention most had some weight in the bow. Counter rotating lowers just locked the boats in, (in a good way of course). The twin boats ran like freight trains flat and fast, actually handled better in my opinion than the single boats. so much power and speed there was no need to hang them, they just powered through anything! The twin boats were awesome. Werner Kuenzle had a SB that he rigged with twins on brackets, actually the boat did not like the brackets at all. Ran 92 all day.
Between you and Rich, I'm getting a real education here!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I remember that Bermuda boat, I think Steve Defeo sent that boat to Bermuda and I think he co drove it in a race there. I also think that was a boat with a notch transom, I drove one on greenwood lake when they built it. At that time Steve worked at Image and he brought it to greenwood lake. The boat really did not run well as rigged that day, would not Carry the bow at all.
First Bermuda Boat was all white...had no steps and no notched transom and I don't think Steve was involved with it at all. The buyer was a blond guy who raced it as a replacement for his earlier original Challenger. Sorry I forgot his name after all these years but he was at the NY boat show repeatedly. Sreve may have gone to Bermuda with a later boat, but I don't recall that either. Steve was out of Image before George and I left so I would have been directly involved with any 21's he delivered.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of boat did I just buy?

Hey there all. Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum as I just signed up!

I just purchased what I was told by the previous owner is a 1983 Challenger 21. Although the boat had been in his family since new he appears to have not known much about the make.

I think I have a 1983 Hammond Challenger 2100. It originally had a Mercury that was replaced in 1988 with a Yamaha 2.6L (which I am also learning about and think it is a 225HP Unit). I have seen MKII and Sport used as a sub model and I am not sure what this unit is. The seller used a serial number of J01520 for the boat (this is not the REG #) but it makes no sense nor can I find it anywhere on the boat. I am unable to post a pic at this time but the boat is White/Blue Stripe/White Hull and looks like the Challenger 2100's I am finding online.

Any help is greatly appreciated in trying to figure out what I own. THANKS!!!! Ryan
Old 09-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 1976-77 now.....

Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Rich,
Wow, so many years ago, amazing that we remember any of this. I think the boat with the transom notch that I speak of and drove on greenwood lake was gray, although that was a rather common color for image shadows back then. I think it was Steve who brought it up, we even tried some of my props on it. Somehow I even think George was there that day, as I say, so many years ago
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rich,
Yes Steve left before you and George. The cove marina was closed down and for all purposes a wreck. Bob who is JR's brother had tried with no success to build condos on the property, he knocked down the storage buildings on the rear of the property. Steve and George then leased it from JR's family and started to operate it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

We stopped using the Challenger name and stopped making them in 1980 or early '81. By the Time the Shadow Cat came out The Challenger 21's were no more. After that we called them Shadows and changed the deck and added a notched transom. The only 1983 "Challengers" would have been made in Canada and licensed by George.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

The boat you are thinking of was one of two we built for the NY boat show. It was definitely a Shadow and it had both a notched transom and a step about 60" forward of the transom. We testedit in boath fresh and Salt water to assure that we had a complete understanding of the various step configurations we tried...none of them improved speed...in fact we lost a bit...and the handling was worse than the standard hulls (*slippery" rear ends in hard turns).[ATTACH=CONFIG]529459[/ATTACH]]
Attached Thumbnails 21 Challenger People-imag0062.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 09-12-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 21 Challenger People

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.