Notices

Boating areas to retire

Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I think my 2 choices would be Destin and Key west, being a beach bum or the likes. When i eventually sell out, i would like to buy a small hotel/motel with clean beachy style rooms on a beach and just run it.
I can totally see this.

Hell, I'd give Tarantino the script outline- you, in the tackiest Hawaiian shirt known to mankind,
with nuclear-sized beer belly kicked back in a cheap plastic bar chair with rusty legs...
in front of a building of questionable repair and repute with mismatched paint...
Cigar in one hand, Pabst in the other... leering at the twinkies and cursing the chickens.

Perfect match. Do it.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
It's funny, lots of people kept telling us how warm it was in Florida, well last Summer at LOTO we had six weeks straight of almost 100 degree weather with the humidity in the 90%, it doesn't get any hotter than the midwest and the winters are miserable, ...........I thought this thread was where would you RETIRE, we've been here in the Cape since last October and have never had to look for something to do, there's either something going on here at the Cape, on Ft. Myers Beach, Marco Island, Sarasota, Naples, Punta Gorda.....................all these places are less than a hour boat or car ride, crap we can drive to Tampa or Miami in two hours.

It's less than a six hour drive to KW or we can take the Key West Express, do I need to keep going, I'm thrilled you guys love the North, but I lived in the midwest for 57 years and I'm going to finish out what's left down here in Florida........oh, did I mention I can go out back and jump in the pool anytime of the year, yes, even in January and February, we live on the ICW and we love living by Rumruners, it's our hangout, it's great to be able to jump in our boat and fly out to the GULF OF MEXICO anytime we want.....................have fun everybody.
Exactly. Why the hell would you retire anywhere you have to be locked inside all winter. Snow sucks!!! Cold sucks!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
Exactly. Why the hell would you retire anywhere you have to be locked inside all winter. Snow sucks!!! Cold sucks!!!
No you have it all wrong! Cold and snow is great, season changes, fall leaves, show sking.

Florida is hot, flat,,,,,,,,,, no one wants to come here. Just stay up north, it's MUCH better,,,,,,,,,,
Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
No one has mentioned Austin tx. When I retire in 28 years. Lol. I wil have a place near home in n mi but no way ill be spending my winters here so I will have a place somewhere that we can boat during the winter time. Austin would be another place to consider
A lot of people have no idea just how awesome Texas is.

My favorites would be down in the valley around Harlingen near Port Isabel or a little more north near Port Mansfield.
Google Laguna Madre for pic's of some great water protected by South Padre Island.
Coming up the coast- Padre Island or Corpus Christi, Rockport, Port O'Conner, Palacios, Matagorda, Sargent, Freeport/Lake Jackson, Galveston Island, and Bolivar Peninsula..
Our people are very friendly and your dollar goes much further on the cost of living than most states in our nation.
One drawback like all the Gulf Coast ports and near coast cities is our chance of hurricanes.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I challenge any to find housing prices as low as Cape Coral. 3 bedroom 2 bathroom gulf access waterfront for as low as 200. I'm sure other areas are fantastic but I bet you can't buy a house as low priced as we can
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking at buying property in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. American lifestyle, taxes, law, passport + easy boating to all the Caribbean Islands. Not a full time thing but 4-5 months a year I think.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
I have been looking at buying property in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. American lifestyle, taxes, law, passport + easy boating to all the Caribbean Islands. Not a full time thing but 4-5 months a year I think.
also check out belize..another beautiful place..http://www.belizeretirement.org/
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
It's funny, lots of people kept telling us how warm it was in Florida, well last Summer at LOTO we had six weeks straight of almost 100 degree weather with the humidity in the 90%, it doesn't get any hotter than the midwest and the winters are miserable, ...........I thought this thread was where would you RETIRE, we've been here in the Cape since last October and have never had to look for something to do, there's either something going on here at the Cape, on Ft. Myers Beach, Marco Island, Sarasota, Naples, Punta Gorda.....................all these places are less than a hour boat or car ride, crap we can drive to Tampa or Miami in two hours.

It's less than a six hour drive to KW or we can take the Key West Express, do I need to keep going, I'm thrilled you guys love the North, but I lived in the midwest for 57 years and I'm going to finish out what's left down here in Florida........oh, did I mention I can go out back and jump in the pool anytime of the year, yes, even in January and February, we live on the ICW and we love living by Rumruners, it's our hangout, it's great to be able to jump in our boat and fly out to the GULF OF MEXICO anytime we want.....................have fun everybody.
What he said! I love the change of Seasons and Summer boating in Buffalo, NY, but the Winters are just WAY too freaking long and snow sucks! I bought a Condo with a dock on a direct access canal in Cape Coral to spend my Winters when I retire.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm
What he said! I love the change of Seasons and Summer boating in Buffalo, NY, but the Winters are just WAY too freaking long and snow sucks! I bought a Condo with a dock on a direct access canal in Cape Coral to spend my Winters when I retire.
Sounds like PERFECT plan.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Registered

I can vouch for Lake Norman, NC. Charlotte/Mooresville are awesome cities that haven't gotten too large (yet), good climate, just all around the best lake environment I've ever seen with great restaurants, clean water, and your also not far away from the mountains, the ocean, and more. You can't beat NC for the diversity of things to do and someday I hope to move back there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.