Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Closed loop cooling and salt water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/299259-closed-loop-cooling-salt-water.html)

jokergerm 07-04-2013 12:53 PM

Closed loop cooling and salt water

I now salt water is hell on boats but I do have closed loop cooling on my Nordic and I was wondering how bad it really is to run in salt water?

Afterwards I flush out the motor and launch it in a lake to rinse off the trailer and flush the boat out, the afterwards I wash it top to bottom at home. Is that over kill?

I know most people just flush the motor and call it good. I just don't want to risk any thing but it sucks driving 45 min to the lake just to get the trailer flushed and the boat cleared out
Can anyone give me some input on how they would do it?

Ive only ran it in salt water 3 times and everytime I go to the lake after for a flushing.
thanks guys

Crude Intentions 07-04-2013 12:59 PM

You am flush on a hose. What kind of trailer? I beam? You can squirt those off too. Then just wash. Mine stays on my lift. I put it down go run. Flush when back on te lift. Wash boat down. Done

jokergerm 07-04-2013 01:04 PM

Its a powder coated sealed beam road runner trailer. I have the ear muff flusher but I figured the lake is just as good
also its hard to get all the trailer brakes and hubs and all the nooks and crannys cleaned with a hose.

Crude Intentions 07-04-2013 01:09 PM

Just dipping in freshwater will not get all the salt off. Especially if its already dried on. The lake is just as good unless you don't want to drive the 45 minutes to the lake. Go home an flush on muffs.

Somethin' Sexy 07-04-2013 02:54 PM

100% in saltwater, if I had the ability to go 45 minutes to dip the entire unit in freshwater, I would do it everytime. It takes me at least 30 minutes to clean and flush my boat after running, and I'm quite sure I don't get into the trailer as well as I need to.

314joey 07-04-2013 03:27 PM

I had closed cooling installed on my Formula before we brought it down South, it sits on a 14K lb lift on the ICW, so it's ready to go anytime we are, as long as you keep everything clean and WD-40 up you should be fine, it's like anything else you'vej ust have to take care of it and clean it, flush the enigine good, I would be more worried about the trailer, the best kind are sealed trailers so the salt water doesn't get into the beams and the wiring, do whatever you can to keep it oiled and clean.

FIXX 07-04-2013 05:09 PM

also just keeping your boat on a lift you may want to fog the engines a litle to keep the valves from rusting from the salt water breeze..my friend parked his foemuls on his lift in sarasots and flushed his engines and rinced off the boat after every use with fresh water...came back north for 6 months and when he went back down his engines were seized ....just sayin..

314joey 07-04-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by FIXX (Post 3953827)
also just keeping your boat on a lift you may want to fog the engines a litle to keep the valves from rusting from the salt water breeze..my friend parked his foemuls on his lift in sarasots and flushed his engines and rinced off the boat after every use with fresh water...came back north for 6 months and when he went back down his engines were seized ....just sayin..

Could happen, we live here so I'm in my boat almost every other weekend or close to it.

seafordguy 07-05-2013 06:35 AM

Swap for an aluminum trailer. Problem solved.

Don't let all the panic pushers on this website scare you off salt water. Every boat we have ever owned has been used exclusively in salt water and we don't have to do full restorations every month like some on here would have you believe.

My boat, cars, and other toys all spend their life within a few feet of salt water and I don't have any rusted valves. There is more to that story than being told.

Crude Intentions 07-05-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3953946)
Swap for an aluminum trailer. Problem solved.

Don't let all the panic pushers on this website scare you off salt water. Every boat we have ever owned has been used exclusively in salt water and we don't have to do full restorations every month like some on here would have you believe.

My boat, cars, and other toys all spend their life within a few feet of salt water and I don't have any rusted valves. There is more to that story than being told.

+1