Notices

VR-1 Velocity ?s

Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
I have velocity 290 sc with a 600 sci with whipple stage 2 kit 740 hp i am getting 96 with a 1/4 tank of gas by myself , labbed 29 hydo 5 blade , your close to being done on speed , i have taken 2 years to get mine right , Watch out with your x/r drive its just a matter of time and you will grenade the top 1/2 , they cant take that type of power to long I have 3 buddies besides myself that have blown them to pieces with that type of HP also. went with an imco scx upper with a sc lower lost 3 mph but its bulletproof now.
Would you happen to know what I should gain after labbing my 30 5 blade hydro? Or is there another prop that works better? Is a 4 blade faster on the VR1 just random?s maybe you did some testing already.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say leave it alone at 95. Your prop is doing OK.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said above, do you really want to press your luck? Prop seems to be working for you...

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 07-08-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: My phone does not spell as well as I do...
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sickvelocity
Would you happen to know what I should gain after labbing my 30 5 blade hydro? Or is there another prop that works better? Is a 4 blade faster on the VR1 just random?s maybe you did some testing already.
Give a call down to Kenny or Steve at the factory... Or even Todd at hydromotive.

Is that a standard length sporty? I'd think with the additional setback you might be able to raise it up a little.

Great looking boat!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Registered

Call Todd at hydromotive, he can find you more ( Not sure how much ) , your near the end your boat looks to be dialed based on the speed and where i have been with mine . I would start saving your money that Xr Upper is gonna BLOW up trust me , been there done that. As you start labbing the prop the blades will weaken , you might want to have a spare. Hydromotive 5 blades are the best on velocitys , i have tried max/bravos 4 blades etc. always end up back with a 5 blade hydro .
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
Call Todd at hydromotive, he can find you more ( Not sure how much ) , your near the end your boat looks to be dialed based on the speed and where i have been with mine . I would start saving your money that Xr Upper is gonna BLOW up trust me , been there done that. As you start labbing the prop the blades will weaken , you might want to have a spare. Hydromotive 5 blades are the best on velocitys , i have tried max/bravos 4 blades etc. always end up back with a 5 blade hydro .
Not saying it cant happen, but I had a XR upper on my 280 velocity ran it hard for 3 years and still kicking, with similar power. Is the VR1 that much tougher on the drive?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have an xr, but would love to try a 5 blade hydro. I'm just worried about breaking the b1 drive. With 800+ hp I'm already asking a lot from it with a 32 bravo 1. Not to mention I've busted it twice cruising with a combined time of 20 minutes total. Lol

Hopefully the new thick gears will help with from blowing the bottoms out. I'm sure long enough to find the next weak link. Lol
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Not saying it cant happen, but I had a XR upper on my 280 velocity ran it hard for 3 years and still kicking, with similar power. Is the VR1 that much tougher on the drive?
Blower tourqe , 5 blade prop , in and out of the water ,those 3 items will get you sooner or later . Did you have a blower on your last boat ?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Registered

I have a 2002 VR1 race hull, 638" BBC one carb, no blower, Bone stock 27" Hydro P5. My XR was good in design up to 95 mph however like they said its only a matter of time before it blows with more then 600hp. Last season I bolted on a Imco std length1.36 lower and ran 101 MPH the first step on the pedal but a hose broke so that was all the testing I did, I just finished bolting on a new SCX upper with a 2" shorty SC lower and am testing it today. That is the best drive package for any 90+ mph single vee hull as long as you have the right length lower, The prop of choice is the P5, What I would do is buy a second one, Send it to Todd at Hydromotive with all the info he needs to tweak it, Then switch them to see which is best. Good luck

Video is with the XR full tank of fuel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM89OaV7XQA