Notices

Another Rookie Question

Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaeloh59
Considering the expense of hot rodding these boats I think it's real cost effective to buy a ride that already has the speed you need. For me I'm thinking that is somewhere between 70-80. So if I found a twin 496 that could do that, I think I'm done

That is what we did. The 502's in ours gave us the speed we wanted. We are good with what we got and for the most part it on stock Mags.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a single 496 HO- put over 700 hours on it with no problems other than the occasional IAC failure.
Now have twin 525's. BIG increase in fuel consumption. Double the cost for routine maintanance. Two of everything to break, including drives. MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Your budget number should allow for some nice choices in a used boat. Single or twin, try both, then decide for yourself. Merc stock power is your best choice, blue motors are, IMO, worth the extra money for the additional HP and quality of the parts used in the build, Black Merc are also very dependable and hard to beat. My opinion is one should run like hell away from the unknown Hot Rod motors built by whoever. Blower motors can be fine, can also be a money pit. Never buy without a survey or help from a trusted friend with a strong mechanical background, and never till you get to run the boat.

Lots of good honest folks out there, only takes one chit wad to ruin your parade, be prudent and you can make yourself a very nice buy in these times. Good Luck!

P.S. Saltwater boats are best to stay as far away from as possible, cheap can never ever be cheap enough when one trys to revive one.
A lot of solid advice right here
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out thinking a 502 would make me happy too.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started looking I was held back by the fact that I had a f-150. But other than that I was right where you are now. I thought I needed BB but after talking to a friend that used to have a scorpion he talked me into opening my mind to the idea. I'm 28 foot, twins, and blue motors. My speed is right where you want to be and I got small blocks in front of bravo drives ( strong set up). I'm not saying a scorpion is the boat for you. Just figured I would make you aware of it since it seems to fit. There are a lot a boats out there that will work for you.... Half the fun is looking at them all...... And remember year is not half as important as condition.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Registered

Make a check list and see what you really want/need out of a boat to help narrow it dowb.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michaeloh59
No Brand X motors. Check
No saltwater boats. Check
Survey. Check
Good advice. Thank you.
I would say survey above all others. PERIOD

99% of the time my boat is in fresh water. It helps that it is a top 5 (no2) cleanest lakes in the USA. But lets face it, there are rivers out there that are "fresh water" that none of us would ever consider running our boats in.

Just because a boat has ran in salt water doesn't mean it is a bad boat. If we really want to get nit picky a lot of these boat makers we see on here test their boats in "brackish" water which contains salt. Take Fountain for example, so from DAY ONE there is some salt being run through that boat. But on the other hand you have owners that never flush, wash and do the maintence required to run in salt water. A survey will tell you that.

You already know that or you wouldn't be considering running salt water poker runs. If you want to use it as a bargaining chip thats fine but don't limit yourself.

A bad owner is a bad owner, period. Get a survey. That will tell you everything.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Any comments on the Velocity 290SC? The velocitys are fast, which I take to mean they are light? If so does this have implications for durability?

The other, and much more expensive boat I have been looking at is Donzi. I actually had the baby Donzi 19' ski boat a few years back. Very heavy hull. Made for a very slow boat with the 4.3L. Any comments on the 33' Donzi?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Me too. I started out thinking 27 foot, 70mph, single engine, and a 502 would make me happy.

God what have I gotten myself in to ! ha!!

Originally Posted by cp5899
I started out thinking a 502 would make me happy too.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as everyone here is pitching "their" brand. Take a look at Advantage. My 32 Victory w/twin 496HOs runs quite nicely, in the upper band of your speed choice. Not sure why so many here are "blacklisting" the 496, but mine run just fine. Granted, they are not ideal candidates for big HP, but left at or near stock, they do quite well. I had heard the 32 Victory was touted as the APBA offshore champion in the 32' class for several years so it has been know to handle the rough stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.